Italian Sausage and Potato Soup is the perfect comfort meal on a cool night and is full of rich, delicious flavors.
When it is cold and rainy here in Portland, we love to have soup for dinner. But there are a lot of cold an rainy nights, which means I need a lot of great soup recipes. And they have to be hearty and filing, like this Italian Sausage soup. I love using Italian sausage in soup. I am not a big fan of hamburger so sausage is a nice alternative. It also gives the soup a richer flavor.
Not only does this soup have Italian sausage and potato, but it is full of zucchini, carrots, and cabbage too. Feel free to add in any other vegetables you might find in the fridge. This soup is perfect for warming you up on a cold night and filling you up!
To finish off the soup I like to garnish it with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and some sliced fresh basil. Fresh parsley will work too if you don’t have basil. Of course, a loaf of crusty homemade French bread is the perfect accompaniment.
Check out a couple of my other favorite Italian Sausage recipes:
Italian Sausage and Potato Soup
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 onion diced
- 7 C beef broth
- 1 1/2 C water
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 T fresh parsley chopped or 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 2 C cabbage chopped
- 2 C zucchini shredded
- 2 C potatoes diced
- 1 C carrots chopped
- Shredded Parmesan cheese or additional cabbage to garnish top
- Cook sausage in pan with onion and garlic.
- Break sausage into small pieces.
- Drain grease.
- In a pan add remaining ingredients (except for cheese and cabbage for garnish) and after sausage is completely cooked add it too.
- Simmer for about 1 hour uncovered.
- Garnish with cheese and or shredded cabbage.
Leave a Review