Italian Turkey Soup is hearty and delicious and can be made with turkey or chicken and is easy to make.
Some of our other favorite soups include Baked Potato Soup, Clam Chowder and Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup.
In anticipation of the turkey leftovers you may be dealing after Thanksgiving and the lack of desire to cook you will probably have, I thought I’d share one of my favorite easy ways to use up leftover turkey. Italian Turkey Soup!
The recipe uses a combination of onion, green peppers, celery, jalapeno and tomatoes.
How to Make Italian Turkey Soup
- Pasta. Pre cook your pasta before you add it into the soup, cook it al dente. The pasta will continue to cook in the soup so cooking it al dente will prevent mushy pasta. I used Ditalini which is a short macaroni style pasta but you can use any shape.
- Turkey. f you don’t have leftover turkey you can also use shredded chicken.
- Herbs. I used dried oregano and basil. You can use fresh herbs, just use twice as much as dried. You can also play with the combination of herbs.
- Cream. I didn’t add cream to the soup but if you prefer a creamier soup add in some whipping cream or half and half.
A turkey sandwich is always a good solution for turkey leftovers but a bowl of Italian Turkey Soup is a nice change!
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow CookerCookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Some of our other favorite leftover turkey recipes:
Italian Turkey Soup Recipe
Italian Turkey Soup
- 1 cup dry pasta I used Ditalini or a short macaroni type pasta
- 2 cups shredded turkey or chicken
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 whole jalapeno seeded and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 15 oz. cans petite cut tomatoes
- 1 can water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to directions. Be sure and cook it al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a frying pan add olive oil, onion, celery, green pepper, jalapeno and saute until tender.
- In a large soup pot combine chicken broth, water, shredded turkey or chicken, tomatoes with their juice and sauteed vegetables.
- Add in herbs. Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in pasta and cream.
Originally shared November 20, 2012
Leave a Review