Turkey day is next week! I am excited because I get to spend it with all five of my kids! I know that holidays with all of my children are going to become more rare so I plan on enjoying this one as much as I can! We will be joining the Wilkes family and it is always a good time. Lots of people and lots of good food. I’ll be making my cornbread sausage dressing as well as a gluten free version for Cali. I’m also in charge of a vegetable and helping with the rolls. My goal is to make Cali a decent gluten free, dairy free pumpkin pie. I basically failed at it last year so hoping I do better this year!
We are planning on a turkey, a ham and a smoked turkey. I’m hoping there will be some leftovers so I can make this Turkey Bisque Soup again!
Don’t worry though if you don’t have any leftovers. This soup is just as delicious made with chicken as with turkey. It has a nice, light cream sauce thanks to a little bit of half and half. If you are dairy free, just leave out the 1/2 and 1/2.
The soup has plenty of nice flavor thanks to the carrots, green peppers, onion and parsley.
My husband mentioned that it would be yummy with some noodles added in to – I agree and will try it next time. This recipe was shared with me by a friend. It is a knock off recipe from a local Portland restaurant that is no longer around.
So what’s your favorite thing to do with leftover turkey?
For some other yummy ideas to use leftover turkey with try these:
Turkey Bisque Recipe
Turkey Bisque Soup
- 2 C cooked turkey or chicken
- 1/4 C onion diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 C carrot diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 4 C turkey or chicken stock
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbs butter softened
- 4 Tbs flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 C half & half
- In a soup pot, heat oil and add onion, green pepper and carrots.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add chicken to pot
- Add garlic to pot.
- Stir together and cook until garlic is fragrant
- Add stock and bring to boil. Cook until carrots are cooked
- Mix together flour and butter together to form a roux.
- Add half & half, roux, parsley and Worcestershire sauce to soup.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve.