Make perfectly shredded chicken every time in the slow cooker! It is ready to use in all kinds of favorite recipes including soups, salads, wraps and tacos.
I love to keep shredded chicken on hand. It can be used so many ways, on top of a salad, in a soup, on pasta, in a casserole, rolled up in a tortilla and lots of other ways. If you have chicken on hand you always have something for dinner.
I like to shred my chicken in bulk and then freeze it. My favorite way to make it is in the slow cooker. It is easy to do and it keeps the chicken moist.
How to Make Shredded Chicken in the CrockPot
- Place chicken breasts into the slow cooker with some salt and pepper.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of water. If your chicken is frozen you won’t need the water.
- Cook on low for four hours. It may take longer if frozen. Do not overcook the chicken, the texture changes when it is overcooked.
- Cook just until it is tender enough to shred and then remove it from the slow cooker onto a cookie sheet or cutting board.
- Use two forks shred the chicken.
How to Store Shredded Chicken
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or the freezer. I usually put it into two cup servings sizes for our reduced size family and freeze it that way.
How Much Shredded Chicken is One Chicken Breast?
Depending on the size of your chicken breast, you will get about
2 C of chicken per chicken breast.
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes. Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Check out some of my favorite recipes that use shredded chicken:
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Chicken Breasts I do 5-6 at a time
- salt and pepper
- 1/4-1/2 C water
- Lightly salt and pepper chicken breasts
- Place in chicken and water into slow cooker
- Cook on low for about 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through and shreddable
- Do not over cook
- Remove from slow cooker and shred with two forks