Instant Pot Mexican Chicken allows you to have a delicious dinner ready in minutes and it is so easy. If you’ve never used an Instant Pot before this recipe is the perfect place to start!
You can find lots more quick, easy and delicious Instant Pot dinner ideas and recipes here on the blog.
I love the flexibility of this Instant Pot Mexican Chicken. You have so many options! It is perfect served with some rice and beans or of course you can put it in a taco. I love to use it on a tostada or in an enchilada too.
It doesn’t get much easier and quicker than this Instant Pot Mexican Chicken!
How to Make Instant Pot Mexican Chicken
- Place your chicken in the Instant Pot. I used skinless, boneless chicken breasts.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients and pour it over the chicken. It’s that easy!
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 15 minutes. Make sure your valve is set to “sealing”.
- Do a 10 minute natural release and then a quick release.
- Remove lid and using two forks shred the chicken. You can do this inside the instant Pot or remove the chicken to shred and then return to the pot.
- Allow the chicken to sit in the pot for a bit so it can absorb back in some of the juices and flavor.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken Breasts?
- Yes, it will just take the Instant Pot a little longer to come up to pressure.
- Increase the cook time to 15-20 minutes.
TIP: Remember that when cooking chicken in the Instant Pot, size matters. If your chicken breasts are small, around 6 oz., they will need less time to cook, about 10 minutes. The chicken breasts I use are usually around 8-10 oz.
Chicken needs to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F so check the temperature with an instant read thermometer.
Can I Make Instant Pot Mexican Chicken in the Crock Pot?
To make it in the crock pot, add all ingredients to slow cooker and then cook on low for 4 hours. Shred chicken and then cook on low for one additional hour to allow juices time to absorb into chicken.
It really doesn’t get much easier than Instant Pot Mexican Chicken. Check out some of my other favorite Instant Pot Recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts 3-4 breasts depending on size
- 1 14 oz. diced tomatoes
- 1 4oz diced green chilies 1
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp Mexican Oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder I like to use adobe chili powder
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Place chicken into Instant Pot.
- Mix together remaining ingredients except for cilantro. Pour over chicken
- Put on lid and set to high pressure for 15 minutes. Do a 10 minute natural release and then quick release.
- Shred chicken in the pot or remove and shred. Return shredded chicken to the pot and mix to combine with juices. Allow to sit in juices for a few minutes to allow them to absorb into shredded chicken.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot Mexican Chicken or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.