Ooey Gooey Butter Cake is just what it’s name implies – ooey, gooey and oh so wonderful. Enjoy it as is or topped with fresh berries.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
This delicious cake was originally a bakery mistake! A St. Louis baker used the wrong amount of flour and sugar, not using enough flour, the cake was dense and heavy and people loved it! This cake is definitely a fortunate mistake.
It’s easy to make because it uses a standard cake mix. And It has a sweet and creamy top thanks to the cream cheese.
What is Ooey Gooey Cake?
Ooey Gooey Cake is delicious! It has a yellow cake base with a soft, gooey cream cheese layer on top. The cake uses a yellow cake mix together with melted butter and an egg. You then top that with a mixture of softened cream cheese, eggs and powdered sugar. It is pure magic.
- Yellow cake mix
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered sugar
How to Make Ooey Gooey Cake
- Combine cake mix with melted butter and an egg. Do not add the ingredients that are listed on the back of the cake mix.
- Press into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, 2 eggs and powdered sugar. Beat with an electric mixer or a stand mixer until smooth.
- Pour over cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.
How to Serve
The cake is best served warm (if you really want it ooey and gooey) but it is also yummy at room temperature or right out of the refrigerator. It is basically good any time! Keep any leftovers refrigerated.
Can I Use A Different Flavor Cake Mix?
This cake is delicious when made with a lemon cake mix, strawberry, chocolate cake mix or even a spice cake mix. If using lemon, add a few teaspoons of lemon juice into the cream cheese mixture too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Ooey Gooey Butter Cake need to be refrigerated?
The cake can be stored at room temperature for 2- 3 days. Be sure to store it in an airtight container or use aluminum foil or plastic wrap to help keep them from drying out. You can also store it in the refrigerator for 4-5 days and serve it chilled but it won’t be as gooey.
Can you freeze ooey gooey butter cake?
I like to freeze it in individual squares, wrapping them in plastic wrap and then foil. You can also store them in a large zippered freezer bag.
You can also freeze the whole cake by covering the pan in plastic wrap or foil and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you are planning on freezing the whole cake I recommend baking it in a metal or aluminum foil baking pan, not glass.
Try these other delicious recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, melted
- 3 eggs
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Grease and flour one 13 x 9 pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together dry cake mix, melted butter and 1 egg. DO NOT add the ingredients from the back of the cake mix. Only use the dry cake mix.
- Press into prepared pan
- In separate bowl mix cream cheese, 2 eggs and powdered sugar
- Pour over the first layer
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes