Instant Pot Tomato Soup is the perfect comfort food. Made quickly and easily in the Instant Pot, you can have homemade tomato soup anytime. Just add a grilled cheese sandwich!
Growing up tomato soup was pretty much the only soup I would eat. In elementary school, I walked home for lunch and in the winter there was usually a bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich waiting for me, in the warmer months it was always a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I pretty much never varied from those two menu items my entire childhood. As an adult, I still enjoy a bowl of tomato soup but I prefer that the soup doesn’t come out of a can. Learning to make tomato soup in the Instant Pot was a game changer, it’s quick, it’s easy and it’s delicious.
It doesn’t get much easier than this Instant Pot Tomato Soup. You just add everything into the Instant Pot and turn it on. All you have to do is cut the tomatoes in half or into quarters. Put the lid on and set the timer for 15 minutes.
Do I Need to Peel my Tomatoes?
If you want a smoother, thinner soup you will want to peel your tomatoes before putting them in the Instant Pot. Follow my tutorial here for peeling tomatoes. I don’t peel my tomatoes as I love the texture the peels gives the soup.
Using Roasted Tomatoes in Instant Pot Soup
Roasting your tomatoes before adding them into the Instant Pot takes more time but let me tell you, the taste difference is amazing. This soup is delicious with out roasting the tomatoes but when you roast them, the taste factor is off the charts!
Roasting the tomatoes takes an extra hour of time but is so worth it. You can follow my tutorial for roasting tomatoes here.
How to Make Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Saute onions and garlic – Turn the Instant Pot onto saute and add the olive oil and onions. Stir until olives are soft and translucent. Add in the garlic and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add in remaining ingredients – tomatoes (roasted or fresh), tomato paste, seasonings and chicken broth. Stir to incorporate.
- Set the timer – put on the lid and set the timer. If you are using fresh tomatoes put on high pressure for 15 minutes, if using roasted tomatoes set on high pressure for 8 minutes. After the cycle finishes, turn the Instant Pot off, don’t allow it to stay in the Warm cycle. Allow the pot to natural release for 15-20 minutes. Then release remaining pressure and open.
- Blend – you can blend the soup two different ways. You can use an immersion blender or put it into your high speed blender. If you are using a regular blender, only do a little soup at a time as the hot soup can cause the lid to blow off the blender. Blend to desired consistency. I like my soup a little thicker, with more texture.
- Garnish and serve – Garnish with additional fresh basil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
This is the Instant Pot I use.
Check out more of my favorite tomato recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Instant Pot Tomato Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- 3-4 lbs. tomatoes roasted or fresh
- 2 Tbps olive oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup basil leaves packed
- 1 Tbsp parsley fresh or 1 tsp dired
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- basil for garnish
- Parmesan Cheese for garnish
- Turn Instant Pot onto saute and add olive oil and onions. Saute until onions are soft and translucent. Add in garlic and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add in remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Put on the lid, set valve to sealing and set on high pressure for 15 minutes if using fresh tomatoes and set for 8 minutes if using roasted tomatoes. When cycle is done, turn the Instant Pot off so it doesn't enter the warming stage. Allow a natural release for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove lid and blend soup to desired consistency using an immersion blender or a high speed blender.
- Garnish with some additional fresh basil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Tips & Notes:
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot Tomato Soup or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!