Roasted tomatoes have so much amazing flavor, the oven-roasting process makes the tomatoes sweeter and intensifies the flavor. Add them to soups, sauces, pasta dishes or just eaten like candy.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Some years I almost dread tomato season. We always have way more than we can use and Jim ends up walking up and down the street giving them away to the neighbors! But this year I think I may keep all the tomatoes to myself because I discovered this amazing roasted tomato recipe, they taste just like candy.
And when you roast tomatoes before adding them into soups and sauces you take the flavor level way up! It can make a huge difference to a recipe to roast the tomatoes first.
What Kind of Tomatoes Should I Use for Roasted Tomatoes?
You can roast any size, shape or type of tomato. My two favorites to roast are cherry tomatoes and roma tomatoes. You can also use grape tomatoes and Italian plum tomatoes The roasting time will just be longer for bigger, meatier tomatoes.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
- Fresh herbs, optional. I like to use thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil and marjoram.
How to make Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- I like to use a combination of red and orange cherry tomatoes because it is prettier.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and place in a bowl.
- Pour in 1 Tbsp olive oil per cup of tomatoes.
- Add in 2 cloves of fresh chopped garlic per cup of tomatoes
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add in some fresh herbs, this is an optional step. When I have fresh herbs on hand I like to add them in. Some of my favorites are thyme, oregano and some marjoram. I used 1 tsp of fresh herbs to 1 C tomatoes and 1/8 tsp of salt and pepper.
- Stir to coat tomatoes.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil and spread the tomatoes into a single layer.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roast the tomatoes for about 20-30 minutes
How Long Does It take to Roast Tomatoes?
The roasting time will vary depending on how big your tomatoes are and how done you like them. Cherry Tomatoes will take 20-30 minutes but larger size potatoes can take 50-60 minutes. I like mine well done, when a lot of the dark crispy edges forms around the tomatoes, so yummy! I would say the tomatoes in the photo below are medium. Some crispness around the edges but not too much.
How To Make Oven Roasted Tomatoes
- Cut the tomatoes in half or quarters, depending on the size of the tomato.
- Place the tomatoes cut side up onto a parchment or foil lined cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle generously with coarse salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with any desired herbs and/or garlic.
- Place tomatoes in to a 400 degree F. oven and roast for 50-60 minutes or until skins soften and begin to burst.
- If you want a more caramelized tomato you can roast them for longer.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will roasted tomatoes last?
When kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container, roasted tomatoes will last for 5-7 days.
To keep them longer, you can freeze them. Place them in an airtight freezer bag in the freezer and they will last up to 6 months. You can put them frozen, straight into your soups or pasta sauces.
Why roast tomatoes?
Roasting tomatoes is a wonderful way to pull out the flavor of the tomato. Oven roasted tomatoes have a much more concentrated and intense flavor. sure way to coax out all the flavor of a tomato.
Recipes to Make with Roasted Tomatoes:
- They can be used in anything you would use a regular tomato in. They are perfect for soups, on top of salads, on pasta or mixed into pasta sauces, on pizza or on crostini. They would also be delicious on hamburgers!
Try these recipes with roasted tomatoes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
- 1 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh herbs chopped, such as thyme, marjoram and oregano
- 1/8 tsp salt and pepper
- 3-4 lbs Roma tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 cloves garlic optional
- 3-4 tsp fresh herbs chopped, such as thyme, marjoram and oregano
- Slice tomatoes in half
- Add in oil, garlic, herbs and salt and pepper
- Spread on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet
- Roast in oven at 400 degree F for approximately 20 minutes or until tomatoes reach desired doneness.
- Time will vary depending on size of tomato.
- Slice tomatoes in half or in quarters if they are larger.
- Place cut side up on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with chopped garlic and herbs if desired.
- Roast in a 400 degree F oven for 50-60 minutes, depending on size of tomato and desired doneness.
Tips & Notes: