Lemon poppy seed bread is a sure sign that spring is here!
Nothing says Easter and springtime more than lemon! We love lemon anything at our house, be it sweet or savory. I especially like my lemon when it’s combined with poppy seeds! If you are looking for a nice, light sweet bread to include in your Easter Brunch/Breakfast menu you might want to consider a loaf or two of lemon poppy seed bread.
One of the things I love about this recipe is that it has a nice light lemon flavor. Even non lemon lovers will enjoy it. There is lemon peel in the batter for a subtle lemon flavor and and then a nice sugary, lemony coating on top that soaks into the bread as it cools creating a lovely sugary topping to the bread.
The recipe calls for dividing the batter among four small mini loaf pans. It makes it easy to wrap them up and give them as gifts to friends and neighbors. You can also make 2 large loaves if you prefer.
How to Make Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Grease only the bottoms of your loaf pan, whether you use four mini ones or two large ones.
- The batter is thick, like cake batter. To make sure you have even amounts of batter in each pan, use a kitchen scale to weigh each pan.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean if using mini loaf pans. For full size loaf pans, bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix up your glaze while the loaves are baking. Pour the glaze over the loaves right after taking them out of the oven, you want them nice and warm. The glaze will fill in down the sides of the bread creating a delicious lemony glaze over the whole loaf. Allow them to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes before removing them.
So it’s up to you, enjoy all four loaves yourself (I promise I won’t tell) or wrap up a loaf or two and share this lemon goodness with someone! But sharing is so much more fun. If you need a set of mini loaf pans check out these.
Can You Freeze Lemon Poppy seed Bread?
Yes! It freezes really well. Just wrap it up air tight in plastic wrap and then in a layer of foil to make sure it is well protected against freezer burn. It will last in the freezer for 3 months.
You might also enjoy these sweet breads:
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread Recipe
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- 1 1/4 C sugar
- 1 C butter softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/4 C all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 C milk
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated lemon peel
- 1/2 C sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of four (5 1/2 x 3 inch) mini loaf pan or 1 full size bread pans. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add in eggs one at a time.
- Add in dry ingredients, milk, poppy seeds and lemon peel. Stir just until combined.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Stir together all glaze ingredients in small bowl.
- Drizzle over warm bread loaves. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans.
Originally posted April 1, 2010
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.