Italian Sausage soup is hearty, full of flavor, and deliciously filling on a cold night.
One of my favorite things about fall is making soup again. Our evenings here in Portland are cooling off, which means I’m ready for soup. I attended a bridal shower last week and they served two different types of soup. I loved them both and today’s recipe for Italian Sausage soup was one of the soups that they served. It is full of yummy vegetables, plus it has some body to it with pasta, beans and sausage. It is hearty enough for my husband to consider it a meal without being too heavy.
I had a meeting at my house this week so I made up a big pot of this soup to serve. It makes a lot so it is a great thing to make when you are making dinner for your family and taking dinner to someone else! We had enough for lunch, some for my husband for dinner and then plenty to share with some friends. It will serve 10-12 people easily.
I served it with some nice crusty bread and a green salad and it made a delicious lunch and dinner!
Check out more of my hearty soup recipes:
Italian Sausage Soup Recipe
Italian Sausage Soup
- 2 lbs. Italian sausages mild
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans diced tomatoes 14 ½ oz each
- 2 cans cannellini beans 15 oz each , rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 cups dried small shell-shaped pasta
- 6 oz. spinach slightly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Brown sausage in pan, drain fat.
- Add in carrots, onion and garlic and stir until onions are limp, about 5-7 minutes
- Add in broth, tomatoes with juice, beans, and basil.
- Bring to a boil, add pasta and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add in spinach just a few minutes before serving and allow it to wilt slightly.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.