Chicken Sausage Pasta comes together in minutes so it is a perfect last minute dinner idea. It is also delicious and healthy!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
We’ve had our kids and grandkids visiting lately which has been so fun. There has been a lot of playing going on so a quick and easier dinner is always a good idea. This recipe is a go to for our family when I don’t have a lot of time.
- Chicken Sausage Pasta is easy to make, full of flavor, comes together in minutes and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients.
- It only uses two pans so there aren’t a lot of dishes to do! All you need is a pot to boil your pasta and a pan to cook the sausage. So clean up is a cinch and you are in and out of the kitchen in no time. More time to play!
- Sausage. I like to use ground chicken sausage but you can also use any type of Italian sausage such as sweet, mild or hot. If you don’t have ground sausage you can also use sausage links. You can either slice them or remove the casings from the link sausage and use it like ground sausage.
- Pasta. Any size or shape of pasta will work. I usually use penne or rotini.
- Spinach. Baby Spinach is my preference but you could also use kale.
- Tomatoes. Use what you have on hand, dice up a tomato or use cherry tomatoes cut in half. You could even use canned, diced tomatoes, just drain them.
- Garlic. Fresh, minced
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Bouillon. Use granules or paste.
- Almonds. Sliced and toasted.
- Parmesan Cheese. For garnishing on top.
How to Make Chicken Sausage Pasta
- Boil pasta until it is al dente. Drain and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking process.
- In a frying pan, brown the sausage. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Chop up some fresh tomatoes and spinach.
- Saute some garlic in the same pan you browned the sausage in. Add the spinach and bouillon and cook it just long enough that the spinach begins to wilt, just about one minute. Don’t over cook it because it will cook a bit more once everything is put in together.
- Add in the cooked pasta, sausage, and tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Top with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese, some toasted almonds, and dinner is ready.
Vegetarian. To make this vegetarian, leave out the meat and use vegetable boullion instead. Add in more vegetables such as diced zucchini. Add in more spinach or kale.
Spice it up. To add a little more kick to the dish, add in some crushed red pepper flakes. The addition of some fresh basil would give it some great flavor too.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can reheat it in the microwave but I prefer to put it back in the skillet, add a bit of liquid such as water or chicken broth and stir until warmed through.
Absolutely, just substitute in your favorite brand.
I am not a fan of freezing cooked pasta as I don’t like the texture of it after it thaws. This is such a quick dish to put together I don’t ever find the need to make it ahead.
Check out more of my favorite easy dinner recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Chicken Sausage Pasta
- 1/2 lb. penne pasta
- 1 lb. chicken sausage ground
- 2 garlic clove minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups fresh spinach loosely packed and torn
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules or paste
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cups almonds sliced and toasted
- Parmesan cheese shredded
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain
- Brown sausage in skillet. Cook until no longer pink, drain and set aside.
- In same skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1-2 minutes
- Add the spinach and bouillon
- Allow spinach to wilt slightly and then add in chopped tomatoes
- Add sausage and pasta back into skillet and toss to combine
- Top with the sliced almonds and shredded Parmesan over the entire dish
Tips & Notes:
Originally posted January 6, 2011