This sausage and tomato pasta comes together quickly and easily, in under 30 minutes, for a fresh, delicious dinner.
This yummy pasta dish can be on your dinner table in under 30 minutes, start to finish. The perfect family recipe for a busy night and with fresh tomatoes and basil, it is full of flavor. Pasta is my go to dinner idea when I’m short on time, ingredients and ideas.
How to Make Sausage and Tomato Pasta
Boil your pasta. You can use any kind of noodle you like but a corkscrew pasta is always fun and the shape helps hold onto all the yumminess in your pasta sauce. I always add a teaspoon or two to my water to help it boil faster. Rinse your pasta in a colander after cooking to remove any excess starch and to help stop the noodles from sticking together.
Cook your sausage and onion in a frying pan while your water is boiling. Cook until sausage is crumbly and cooked through.
Add in garlic and freshly chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add drained pasta into mixture and stir to combine. Garnish with freshly chopped basil and grated Parmesan cheese.
And that’s it! Dinner is served.
The flavor of the fresh tomatoes and basil will make this dish a favorite of anyone that tries it. And the easy recipe will make it one of your favorite dishes to make. And if you happen to have a garden with tomatoes and basil, you will be able to make this with almost zero planning.
Check out more of my favorite easy pasta recipes:
Sausage and Tomato Pasta Recipe
Sausage and Tomato Pasta
- 8 oz. penne pasta uncooked
- 8 oz. sweet or mild Italian sausage ground
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 1/4 lbs. tomatoes chopped
- 6 Tbsp Parmesan cheese grated and divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup basil leaves torn or chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain.
- Heat a non stick pan over medium high heat, Add oil to pan.
- Add sausage and onion and cook for 4-5 minutes or until sausage is cooked through and crumbly.
- Add garlic and tomatoes and cook for 2 -3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in pasta. Add 2 Tbsp cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and basil.
Find more recipes to love over on my Facebook Page!
Originally posted September 18, 2009