Tomato Chicken Pasta is a quick, go to weeknight dinner idea. You can use tomatoes fresh from the garden or the grocery store to give this dish amazing flavor.
This Tomato Chicken Pasta recipe is a standby meal at our house. Whenever I can’t think of what to fix for dinner, pasta usually comes to the rescue.
- Noodles or Pasta. You can use spaghetti, linguine, penne, rotini or any shape or size pasta will work.
- Meat. I used chicken breast but you can also substitute in chicken thighs or chicken sausage. You can use as little as one chicken breast so this recipe is a perfect way to use up leftover chicken.
- Vegetables. Fresh tomatoes, onions, and a little tomato paste to help thicken the sauce.
- Chicken Broth. This adds some extra flavor.
- Seasonings. Fresh Garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. If you want a bit of heat, add a few red pepper flakes.
- Dijon Mustard.
- Parmesan Cheese. This is a garnish.
- Fresh basil. This is also used a garnish, can substitute dried basil.
How to Make easy Tomato Chicken Pasta
The sauce for this pasta can be made in almost the same amount of time as it takes the noodles to boil.
- Slice chicken and saute in oil in a large skillet until it’s cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Add onions and herbs to the pan and saute until onions are soft.
- Add in chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and garlic.
- Turn heat to high and cook for 3 minutes to thicken up the sauce
- Stir in mustard and chicken and cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve over pasta and garnish with fresh or dried basil.
Tips from Leigh Anne
- Precook your pasta – to save yourself some time, cook your pasta ahead of time. Rinse it well after cooking and then store it in an airtight container or zip loc baggie in the refrigerator. Run some warm water over it before you are ready to serve it or warm it up in the microwave.
Voila! Chicken Tomato Pasta for dinner! Pasta is also the perfect way to use up whatever leftover meat and veggies you might have in the refrigerator.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t have fresh tomatoes I recommend using canned diced tomatoes. Because of the juices in the canned tomatoes, cut back the chicken broth by 1/4 cup.
Stored in refrigerator in an airtight container it will last for up to 3 days.
To reheat the tomato chicken pasta put it in the microwave or in a skillet with a couple of tablespoons water to loosen the sauce and pasta.
You can use asparagus, spinach, broccoli, red peppers and even mushrooms. Saute the vegetables in a little oil. before adding in. You can add the spinach right in at the end.
Try these other pasta dishes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Tomato Chicken Pasta
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 chicken breast skinless, boneless, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cup tomatoes chopped
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp basil fresh and chopped
- Heat butter and oil in pan over medium heat.
- Saute chicken until cooked through.
- Remove from pan and add onions and herbs. Cook until onions are soft
- Add in chicken broth, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and garlic.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Increase heat to high and cook for 3 more minutes. Sauce will thicken up.
- Stir in mustard and chicken. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Serve over noodles or pasta.