Chicken Tomato Pasta is a quick, go to weeknight dinner idea. You can use tomatoes fresh from the garden or the grocery store to give this dish amazing flavor.
We love pasta as a weeknight dinner. Some of our other favorites include Slow Cooker Baked Ziti, yes you can make pasta in the sow cooker! Penne Rustica is delicious and can feed a crowd and Crockpot Garlic Chicken Pasta is another favorite.
Pasta is a standby meal at our house. Whenever I can’t think of what to fix for dinner, pasta usually comes to the rescue.
Chicken Tomato Pasta Ingredients
Here is what you will need:
Noodle or Pasta – any shape or size will work.
Meat – chicken or you can also substitute in some sausage. You can use as little as one chicken breast. This recipe is a perfect way to use up leftover chicken.
Vegetables – fresh tomatoes, onions, and a little tomato paste to help thicken the sauce.
Liquid – chicken broth adds some extra flavor.
Seasonings – garlic is a must and I used Italian seasoning, parsley and this recipe uses some Dijon mustard too. If you don’t have fresh parsley you can used dry, just use half the amount.
Cheese – and of course a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
Can I use Canned Tomatoes Instead of Fresh Tomatoes?
If you don’t have fresh tomatoes I recommend using canned diced tomatoes. Because of the juices in the canned tomatoes, cut back the chicken broth by 1/4 cup.
How to Make easy Chicken Tomato Pasta
The sauce for this pasta can be made in almost the same amount of time as it takes the noodles to boil.
- Slice chicken and saute in oil until it’s cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Add onions and herbs to the pan and saute until onions are soft.
- Add in chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and garlic.
- Turn heat to high and cook for 3 minutes to thicken up the sauce
- Stir in mustard and chicken and cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve over pasta and garnish with fresh parsley or basil.
Voila! Chicken Tomato Pasta for dinner! Pasta is also the perfect way to use up whatever leftover meat and veggies you might have in the refrigerator.
What to Serve with Pasta
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Chicken Tomato Pasta Recipe
Chicken Tomato Pasta
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 chicken breast skinless, boneless, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cup tomatoes chopped
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp parsley chopped
- Heat butter and oil in pan over medium heat.
- Saute chicken until cooked through.
- Remove from pan and add onions and herbs. Cook until onions are soft
- Add in chicken broth, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and garlic.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Increase heat to high and cook for 3 more minutes. Sauce will thicken up.
- Stir in mustard and chicken. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Serve over noodles or pasta.
Tips & Notes:
Originally posted April 17, 2012
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.