This Lite pasta is full of delicious veggies and topped with sausage. Delicious and lite!
A few weeks ago Johnsonville Sausage sent me a box full of some of their smoked/cooked sausage.
There were all kinds of fun flavor combinations – Jalapeno & Cheese Smoked Sausage,Smoked Turkey Sausage, New Orleans Style Sausage, and Polish Sausage.
I decided to play it on the safe side for dinner so I went with the Polish Sausage. My friend Jeannena has a great pasta recipe that uses sausage that I had been wanting to make so I knew this was the perfect opportunity to give it a try.
The pasta is quick and easy to put together. If you still have some zucchini left in the garden this is a perfect way to use it up. The recipe also calls for red peppers but it would be fun to experiment and throw in a few other vegetable too – maybe some broccoli, carrots, snow peas? The vegetables are cooked so they stay crisp. Add them in with the sausage, a little olive oil and seasoning and you have a lovely dinner. Tessa commented at dinner how “light” the pasta was yet flavorful. Guess that’s why it is called Lite Pasta!
I put the rest of the sausage into the freezer to save for our Halloweenie Roast, it will be perfect for all those little ghosts and goblins!
- 1 16 oz. spaghetti - cook in salted water Drain, & rinse in hot water (keep warm).
- 1 to 2 pounds polish sausage sliced
- 6 Tbsps. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 red bell pepper cut in cubes
- 1 medium onion cut in wedges
- 3-4 small hot dog size zucchini, cut in strips
- 4 tsps. chicken bouillon granules;
- 2 tsps. basil
- 2 tsps salt or less
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper I left this out
- Heat oil; add sausage and stir fry
- Add onion & red pepper; spinkle in remaining spices & stir fry
- Add zucchini last so that it does not overcook
- Onion and red pepper take a longer time to cook
- Toss with pasta
- Serve warm
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.