Migas is a an easy and delicious egg dish made with tortilla chips and peppers. It’s quick and easy and works as for breakfast or dinner.
Make sure to check out more of my favorite breakfast recipes including Green Chili Egg Casserole, Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole and Breakfast Potatoes.
When my husband is in charge of cooking at our house, the result it is usually some form of eggs or a piece of meat on the grill. His cooking repertoire is fairly limited. One of my favorite dishes he makes is his version of scrambled eggs. He usually cleans out the refrigerator in the process, using whatever he finds – cheese, green peppers, red peppers, onions, salsa, etc. He usually throws in a handful of tortilla chips too if we have them. I love the crunch that they give the eggs.
Little did we know he was making his own version of the popular Tex-Mex recipe, Migas.
What Are Migas?
Migas is a traditional Spanish dish. The word migas means “crumbs” because it was traditionally made with leftover bread crumbs. It is now more commonly made with corn tortillas that are cut into strips and fried in oil. I use a little bit of a short cut though and use store bought tortilla chips.
Migas is basically a Tex-Mex egg scramble.
- Half and Half. Adding milk to the eggs makes them creamier. If you don’t have half and half use regular milk.
- Vegetables. Tomatoes, green peppers, red pepper, Jalapeno pepper, onion. If you are looking for a quicker version, just add in some chunky salsa instead.
- Cheese. I use crumbled Cotija cheese but you could also use a shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese.
- Tortilla Chips. Just crumble them up a bit.
- Additional Toppings. Cilantro, Avocado, Salsa.
How to Make Migas
- Add eggs to a bowl with milk, salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add olive oil and butter.
- Add in diced vegetables except for tomatoes and cook until tender and they start to turn black on the edges.
- Add in tomatoes and chips and stir to combine.
- Pour in egg mixture and cook using a folding motion.
- Cook until eggs are cooked to desired doneness.
- Top with cheese, cilantro and additional chips if desired.
How to Serve Migas
- Just as they are!
- Add a side of black beans if desired.
- Wrap them up in a flour or corn tortilla and serve as a breakfast burrito or taco.
- Add some easy homemade blender salsa on top!
- On top of some roasted potatoes.
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
- 1 Jalapeño Seeds And Membranes Removed, Finely Diced
- 4 Plum Tomatoes Roughly Chopped
- 1 Green Pepper Roughly Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Roughly Chopped
- 1 cup Onion Chopped
- 12 Large Eggs
- ¼ cup Cotija Cheese Grated (may Use Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Etc.)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Half-and-half
- 2 cups Tortilla Chips roughly broken
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs and half & half. Salt and pepper eggs, then set aside.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain
- Chop tortillas and set aside
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the olive oil with the butter
- Add onions and bell peppers and cook until starting to turn brown/black, about 3 to 4 minutes
- Add in diced jalapenos and stir to combine
- Add tomatoes to the skillet and stir around, then add tortilla chips stirring gently to combine
- Reduce heat and add egg mixture to pan.
- Stir gently to cook with the peppers, folding mixture very gently as it cooks
- Too with cheese and chopped cilantro, and stir to combine
Originally posted March 25, 2010
Leave a Review