This slow cooker tri tip roast is delicious, fall apart tender and is perfect on it’s own or made into sandwiches.
This recipe for Tri Tip Roast was originally published in my Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook and is one of my favorites. It is the one my boys ask me to make more than any other recipe in my cookbook.
What is Tri Tip?
Tri Tip is a triangular shaped roast from the bottom sirloin cut of the cow. It is also known as a Triangle Roast, a Bottom Sirloin Tip, a Santa Maria or California Cut. It is a less expensive cut of meat with a lot of flavor and is tender. Cooking it in the slow cooker makes it even more tender.
How To Make Slow Cooker Tri Tip Roast
- Mix together the rub. The rub is a combination of salt, pepper, dried thyme, rosemary, and garilc.
- Rub the mixture over top of the roast.
- Place roast, rub side up in the slow cooker.
- Mix together beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and pour into the slow cooker, to the side of the roast. Don’t wash the rub off the roast.
- Put on the lid and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily with a fork.
- Remove roast from slow cooker and shred or slice meat.
- Strain the juices and reserve for dipping if making a sandwich or for a gravy.
What to Serve With Tri Tip Roast
Some of our favorite side dishes to serve with roast are:
- Smashed Potatoes
- Chili Roasted Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Roasted Balsamic Asparagus
- Roasted Parmesan Carrots
- Balsamic Carrots
How to Make Tri Tip Sandwiches
- Prepare bun. Butter the inside of the bun and toast under the broiler or in a pan on the stove top.
- Place sliced/shredded meat onto the bun.
- Add a piece of Provolone cheese and place under the broiler to melt.
- Dip into reserved au jus.
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Slow Cooker Tri Tip Roast
Slow Cooker Tri Tip Roast
- 3 lb. tri tip roast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 6 buns
- Combine the salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary and garlic. Rub it over the top of the tri tip.
- Place the meat into a 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Add the broth and Worcestershire sauce to the slow cooker around the sides of the meat. Do not pour directly over the top of the tri tip and wash off the seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until the meat is tender, and pulls apart easily with a fork.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker and shred or cut into pieces.
- Strain the remaining liquid and use it as an au jus if making sandwiches.
- Butter and toast buns.
- Place meat on top of bottom bun, cover with a slice of cheese and place under broiler to melt cheese.
- Serve with au jus.