This slow cooker tri tip roast is delicious, fall apart tender and is perfect on its own or made into sandwiches.
This recipe for Tri Tip Roast was originally published in my Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook and is one of my favorites. It is the one my boys ask me to make more than any other recipe in my cookbook.
What is Tri Tip?
Tri Tip is a triangular shaped roast from the bottom sirloin cut of the cow. It is also known as a Triangle Roast, a Bottom Sirloin Tip, a Santa Maria or California Cut. It is a less expensive cut of meat with a lot of flavor and is tender. Cooking it in the slow cooker makes it even more tender.
- Tri Tip Roast. Use a 3 lb tri tip.
- Salt and Pepper
- Dried Herbs. Use a combination of thyme and rosemary but could also use Italian Seasoning.
- Garlic. Use minced garlic. Could also use garlic powder
- Beef Broth. You could also use chicken broth if needed.
- Worcestershire Sauce. Adds some nice depth of flavor.
How To Make Slow Cooker Tri Tip Roast
- Mix together the rub. The rub is a combination of salt, pepper, dried thyme, rosemary, and garilc.
- Rub the mixture over top of the roast.
- Place roast, rub side up in the slow cooker.
- Mix together beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and pour into the slow cooker, to the side of the roast. Don’t wash the rub off the roast.
- Put on the lid and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily with a fork.
- Remove roast from slow cooker and shred or slice meat.
- Strain the juices and reserve for dipping if making a sandwich or for a gravy.
How to Make Tri Tip Sandwiches
- Prepare bun. Butter the inside of the bun and toast under the broiler or in a pan on the stove top.
- Place sliced/shredded meat onto the bun.
- Add a piece of Provolone cheese and place under the broiler to melt.
- Dip into reserved au jus.
Frequently Asked Questions
Prepare the tri tip as the recipe states then place in Instant Pot. Add in the liquid. Cook on manual high pressure for 25 minutes. Do a quick release.
If you can’t find a tri tip roast you could use a sirloin roast instead. Get one with some fat on it for good flavor.
This depends on how much time I have. If you have time go ahead and sear the meat in some hot olive oil in a skillet first. I don’t find that it makes a huge amount of difference in the final product and it saves me a dirty. pan.
Tips from Leigh Anne
- When cooking beef in the slow cooker I always try and cook it on low for the best results. If you just don’t have time and need to cook it on high, cook for 4-5 hours or until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily.Tip Number Two
- If you’d like to serve it with gravy instead of au jus add 2 Tbsp butter and 2 Tbsp of flour in a frying pan and stir together over medium heat to form a roux. Add in 1/2 cup of leftover liquid from slow cooker. Stir until combined and thickened. Add in remaining liquid and bring to a low boil, allow to thicken. Serve over meat.
Other ways to serve Tri Tip:
Be sure and check out these delicious recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Slow Cooker Tri Tip Roast
- 3 lb. tri tip roast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 6 buns
- Combine the salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary and garlic. Rub it over the top of the tri tip.
- Place the meat into a 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Add the broth and Worcestershire sauce to the slow cooker around the sides of the meat. Do not pour directly over the top of the tri tip and wash off the seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until the meat is tender, and pulls apart easily with a fork.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker and shred or cut into pieces.
- Strain the remaining liquid and use it as an au jus if making sandwiches.
- Butter and toast buns.
- Place meat on top of bottom bun, cover with a slice of cheese and place under broiler to melt cheese.
- Serve with au jus.
Tips & Notes:
- When cooking beef in the slow cooker I always try and cook it on low for the best results. If you just don’t have time and need to cook it on high, cook for 4-5 hours or until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily.
- T0 make in the Instant Pot: Prepare the tri tip as the recipe states then place in Instant Pot. Add in the liquid. Cook on manual high pressure for 25 minutes. Do a quick release.