Made entirely on the stove top, these balsamic carrots don’t take up any oven space and are a delicious, carrot covered with a sweet balsamic glaze.
Balsamic Carrots are one of my favorite vegetables and these Parmesan Roasted Carrots are at the top of the list. I also love to cook carrot in the slow cooker and this recipe for Slow Cooker Cinnamon Honey Carrots is the best. Find all my vegetable recipes here.
Balsamic Glazed Carrots
Usually when I hit the produce section of the grocery store I head right to the green vegetables – broccoli, asparagus, green beans. But earlier this week the green vegetables weren’t looking so hot. The asparagus was too thick, the green beans were too shriveled and I just wasn’t in the mood for broccoli. I needed a vegetable to take to a potluck dinner. (The same one I took t his yummy cashew nut rice dish to.)
I headed over to the orange vegetables, the carrots to be exact! I grabbed a bag of baby carrots and headed home to see what I could do with them. Using. baby carrots makes this recipe extra easy because there is no peeling or chopping. If you want to use regular carrots, just peel them and cut them into 2-3 inch pieces.
How to Make Glazed Carrots
- Boil the carrots first until they were fork tender but not too soft. Be sure they don’t get too mushy!
- Saute red onions and red pepper in a little olive oil.
- Add the carrots into the pan along with the onions and pepper and add in the balsamic vinegar, sugar, and salt and pepper. Stir to coat.
- The balsamic vinegar forms a nice glaze over the carrots. Stir for 3-4 minutes and then they are ready to eat.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
- These carrots can be served warm or at room temperature. If they sit for a while, stir right before serving to redistribute the glaze over the carrots.
The carrots are the perfect addition to any dinner table or holiday table.
Some of other vegetable side dishes to try:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Balsamic Carrot Recipe
- 1 lb. of baby carrots
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 -2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped or 1 tsp dried parsley
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add carrots. Boil until carrots are just fork tender, not too soft.
- Drain water.
- In a frying pan add oil and saute onions and peppers until still tender and slightly crisp.
- Add in carrots, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir and continue to cook for about 4-5 more minutes or until a nice glaze forms over the carrots.
- Remove from stove and garnish with chopped or dried parsley
Originally posted March 16, 2012
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.