Dress up your carrots with Balsamic Glazed Carrots.
Usually when I hit the produce section of the grocery store I head right to the green vegetables – broccoli, asparagus, green beans. But earlier this week the green vegetables weren’t looking so hot. The asparagus was too thick, the green beans were too shriveled and I just wasn’t in the mood for broccoli. I needed a vegetable to take to a potluck dinner. (The same one I took t his yummy cashew nut rice dish to.)
So I headed over to the orange vegetables – the carrots to be exact! I grabbed a bag of baby carrots and headed home to see what I could do with them. I have to admit carrots are not my first choice when it comes to vegetables, they are a ways down on the list but these Balsamic Glazed Carrots may just change my mind.
I boiled the carrots first until they were fork tender but not too soft.
I then sauteed some chopped red onions and red pepper in a little olive oil. I added the carrots into the pan along with the onions and pepper and added in the balsamic vinegar, some sugar, as well as salt and pepper.
The balsamic vinegar forms a nice glaze over the carrots. Stir for 3-4 minutes and then they are ready to eat.
Balsamic Glazed Carrots
- 1 lb. of baby carrots
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 -2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped or 1 tsp dried parsley
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add carrots. Boil until carrots are just fork tender, not too soft.
- Drain from water.
- In a frying pan add oil and saute onions and peppers until still tender and slightly crisp.
- Add in carrots, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir and continue to cook for about 4-5 more minutes or until a nice glaze forms over the carrots.
- Remove from stove and garnish with chopped or dried parsley
- Recipe inspired by Southern Living Cookbook
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.