This steak salad is made with tender tri tip steak, dried cranberries, tomatoes, green onions, roasted red peppers, cheese and toasted almonds. It is then topped with a delicious lemon cilantro vinaigrette.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
One of my favorite places to eat in Utah is Cubby’s. My favorite thing on their menu is their Tri Tip Steak Salad, it has amazing flavor. I first developed this recipe when I lived in Portland and could only get this salad when I visited my kids. Now that I live only a few miles from a Cubby’s I still like making it at home. It’s the perfect way to use up leftover steak or you can add in any protein you like.
- Tri tip steak, use this recipe for tri tip in the oven.
- Tomato. I used cherry tomatoes cut into quarters.
- Green onions. You can also use sliced red onion.
- Dried cherries or you can use dried cranberries or any dried fruit.
- Toasted sliced almonds. You can also use slivered almonds.
- Roasted Red pepper. I bought the jarred kind but you can roast your own red peppers. Use the direction in this roasted red pepper soup recipe.
- Blue Cheese. I used gorgonzola cheese because I don’t care for blue cheese. You could also use feta cheese.
- Romaine Lettuce. You can also add in some spinach and arugula and any other letttuce you have on hand.
- Cilantro dressing (see below for recipe)
How to Make Steak Salad
- Place lettuce into a large bowl or platter.
Top with strips of tri tip and other ingredients including, tomatoes, green onions, almonds, red peppers, cheese and dried cherries.
- Add dressing (see recipe below)
Steak Salad Dressing Ingredients
- Olive oil
- Dried minced onion
- White vinegar
- Dijon mustard
How to make Cilantro Dressing
- Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Keep refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to use.
Other Steak Options:
- Shortcut: I discovered that Costco carries this amazing fully cooked sliced beef. It has only been seasoned with salt and pepper. It comes in slices and then I just cut it into strips and topped my salad with it. So easy and delicious! It comes in a bag and is in the deli section. It is different than the deli sliced roast beef for sandwiches. This is thicker, like slices of a roast. So technically I guess it wasn’t tri tip but it still was good!!
- Use any leftover meat from the grill such as flank steak, chicken, salmon, pork you have on hand.
How to Store Steak Salad
If you need to make this salad ahead of time I recommend storing ingredients separately in airtight containers and then combining them right before you eat. This will prevent the salad from becoming soggy.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can also use sliced flank steak, rib eye, New York strip steak, sirloin steak, skirt steak, flat iron steak, top sirloin or any tender steak.
I prefer a medium-rare steak for this steak salad. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of your meat while grilling.
Any roasted or grilled veggies would be delicious in this steak salad.
For other main dish salads try these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
- 2 cups tri tip steak cooked and sliced
- 1 cup tomato chopped
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1/2 cup red pepper sliced and roasted
- 1/2 cup Blue Cheese crumbled
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp dried minced onion
- 3 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- Place all dressing ingredients but olive oil into a blender.
- Blend until smooth
- Drizzle in olive oil.
- Assemble salad, top with steak and pour dressing over top
- Combine all of the salad ingredients with the cooked and sliced tri tip. Then add honey mustard dressing as desired.
Tips & Notes: