A good pizza sauce recipe is one of the building blocks of a great pizza. My homemade pizza sauce does not disappoint!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
We love pizza in our house, so we have tried a lot of pizza recipes. Any good pizza starts with the two main building blocks. A great crust and a delicious pizza sauce. I have you covered with this homemade pizza dough recipe..
Because it uses canned tomatoes this easy pizza sauce recipe goes together very quickly. And there are only 5 simple ingredients. It has great flavor and is the best pizza sauce in my opinion.
Like all recipes with just a few ingredients, make sure to use fresh, high quality ingredients for the best results.
- Crushed Tomatoes. I like San Marzano or Cento.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Garlic. If you prefer you can use 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt, to taste
How To Make Homemade Pizza Sauce
This recipe couldn’t be easier, just three easy steps. Make sure to allow the sauce to simmer. It not only helps increase the flavor, but allows some of the liquid to evaporate so you have a thicker sauce, making it the best homemade pizza sauce recipe.
- Heat oil and garlic in a sauce pan. Cook until garlic is sizzling, about 2 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, sugar, and Italian seasoning. You can add salt to taste but I usually don’t add any.
- Simmer until thickened (at least 15-20 minutes).
- The key to a good pizza sauce is a good quality tomato. For the best tomato flavor my favorite brands are San Marzano tomatoes or Cento.
- You only need a thin layer of sauce. Be sure and leave an edge of the crust exposed, not covered by sauce.
- When making pizza, put your toppings under the cheese. This keeps the toppings from drying out and allows the cheese to melt and get a little toasty.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I freeze pizza sauce?
You can place the sauce in an airtight freezer container and it will keep for 2-3 months. Stored in the fridge it will last for 3-4 days.
Can I use tomato sauce instead of crushed tomatoes?
You can use tomato sauce, I just prefer the texture the crushed tomatoes give the sauce.
I don’t have Italian seasoning, what else can I use?
You can use a combination of dried oregano, parsley, thyme, basil and marjoram. You can also use fresh herbs if you prefer. Use double the amount of fresh herbs as you do dried herbs.
Now the question is – how do you cut your pizza? I grew up with pizza cut into squares but then I moved out West and they cut their pizza into pie shaped slices. How do you like yours??
Check out some of my favorite homemade pizza recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 26 0z crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Heat oil and garlic in a sauce pan. Cook until garlic is sizzling (about 2 minutes).
- Add in tomatoes, sugar, and Italian seasoning. Simmer until thickened (about 15-20 minutes).