Buttermint Ice Cream tastes just like those pastel colored old fashioned buttermints. The addition of white chocolate flecks in the ice cream gives you the texture of the mints.
Whenever I travel, at the top of my to do list is to check out the local ice cream spots. We love our ice cream. On a recent trip to Nashville I knew I had to stop at Jeni’s Ice Cream. I had visited a Jeni’s before and was so excited that Nashville had one.
Because of Covid you couldn’t taste any flavors before ordering so I took a gamble on the Buttermint Ice cream. The gal helping me assured me it tasted just like those old fashioned, pastel colored buttermints they always had at wedding receptions, bridal showers and restaurants.
I love anything mint flavored so I went with her suggestion and I was not disappointed. In fact, I loved it so much I had to come home and figure out how to make it myself since we don’t have a Jeni’s here in Portland.
I pretty much hit it out of the ballpark with this recipe. It tasted just like the real thing!
How to Make Buttermint Ice Cream
This ice cream has no actual buttermints in it so don’t worry if you don’t know where to find them! You don’t need them.
I started with my favorite vanilla ice cream base. I use this for most of my ice cream recipes.
In addition to vanilla extract, I used a combination of butter extract and peppermint extract.
To give you the texture of the soft, creamy mints I added in chopped up flecks of white chocolate.
What Kind of Ice Cream Maker Do You Use?
I get asked this question all the time. For years and years I used this counter top Cuisinart ice cream maker, and it works great. This last year I decided to take it up a notch and purchase a Breville Ice Cream Compressor. It comes with a hefty price tag but let me tell you, it makes AMAZING ice cream. If you are an ice cream fanatic like I am, you will love it!!
The texture of the ice cream this produces is so smooth and creamy.
How to Make Savannah Buttermint Ice Cream
- Mix together milks, sugar, salt and extracts.
- Pour into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers instructions.
- About five minutes before it is done churning add in finely chopped white chocolate fleks.
- After done processing, put into an insulated ice cream container and freeze to allow to harden.
This ice cream is not overly minty, more a hint of mint. It is creamy, smooth and buttery and just like the candy mints, it melts in your mouth. The flecks of white chocolate give it just a hint of texture. The ice cream is on definite repeat at our house this summer.
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos
You can purchase butter extract here.
Buttermint Ice Cream Recipe
Buttermint Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 3/4 tsp butter extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 oz white chocolate good quality, finely chopped
- Mix together milks, sugar, extracts and salt.
- Pour into ice cream maker.
- Process according to manufacturer's directions.
- The last five minutes of processing time, add in finely chopped white chocolate and finish churning.
- Place ice cream into an insulated ice cream tub and place in freezer to harden up.