How to cook chicken in the microwave is just what you need to know how to do when you need shredded chicken in a hurry.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe.
This is a fool proof method for making shredded chicken! In fact, I have several fool proof methods, it just depends on which appliance you want to use and how much time you have.
The quickest way to do it is in the microwave. If you don’t have a microwave or want to know how to cook chicken in the crockpot check out this post and to make shredded chicken in the Instant Pot, go here.
When I only need to cook up a couple of chicken breasts I almost always do it in my microwave. It is quick and easy and this method will give you a nice juicy chicken breast every time.
I use the crock pot or the Instant Pot when I have to cook up a lot shredded chicken.
How to Cook Chicken in Microwave
- Pound chicken breasts so they are an even thickness. This helps them to cook quicker and more evenly.
- Place the chicken breasts on a hard surface and cover with wax paper.
- Use a meat tenderizer to pound the breasts so they are more even in size.
- Use a dish that will fit the number of chicken breasts you are using. If I am doing two, they will usually fit in an 9 x 9″ pan.
- Salt and pepper the chicken breasts and add enough water so that it comes about 1/3 the way up the chicken breast.
- Cover the top of the dish with wax paper or plastic wrap. This will help create a steam bath for the chicken.
- Cook in the microwave on high for about about 4-5 minutes per chicken breast, it will depend on size and thickness of chicken.
- Check the temperature. I always use my Thermoworks Thermapen to check the temperature of the chicken. You want the chicken to be 165 degrees F. I pull it out about 5 degrees before that as it will continue to cook after taking it out of the microwave.
- Don’t cut into the chicken to see if it is cooked through as this will release all the juices from the chicken and you will end up with dry chicken.
Easy Shredded Chicken
After you remove it from the microwave allow it to sit for a few more minutes and it will continue to cook. Word of caution: as you remove the plastic wrap from the dish be careful of the steam that will escape. You don’t want to burn yourself.
Remove chicken from dish and place on cutting board. After it cools cut into pieces or shred with a fork. Perfect chicken every time!!
Check out these other recipes too!
Frequently Asked Questions
Shredded chicken freezes really well. Store in an airtight container or zippered plastic bag, remove as much air as you can and it will store for 2-3 months in the freezer.
In the refrigerator, it will last 3-4 day.
The FDA recommends cooking chicken to 165 degrees F. I pull it out about 5 degrees before that as it will continue to cook after taking it out of the microwave.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
How to Cook Chicken in the Microwave
- 2 chicken breasts skinless, boneless
- salt and pepper
- Pound chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper to make them thinner and more even in thickness.
- Place chicken in a dish and fill dish with water so the water level comes up about 1/3 of the way on the chicken.
- Cover with wax paper or plastic wrap and cook in microwave on high for 4-5 minutes per breast. Use a thermometer to check temperature. Meat should be 165 degrees F.
- Allow to cool and then shred or slice.
Tips & Notes:
- You can use this method for chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins. Tenderloins will cook much quicker, about 5 minutes.
- I generally use this method if I am only cooking 1-3 chicken breasts, for more I will use the slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- Shredded chicken freezes well. Store in an airtight container or zippered plastic bag, remove as much air as you can and it will store for 2-3 months in the freezer.