How to cook chicken in the microwave is just what you need to know how to do when you need shredded chicken in a hurry.
One of the most frequent questions I am asked is how do I cook chicken? Whenever I mentioned shredded chicken in a recipe I will get several messages asking me how I do it.
I have a fool proof method, in fact I have several fool proof methods, it just depends on which appliance you want to use and how much time you have. Today we are going to talk about how to cook chicken in the microwave, the quickest way to do it. If you want to know how to cook chicken in the crockpot check out this post and to make shredded chicken in the Instant Pot, go here. I use the crock pot or the Instant Pot when I have to cook up a lot shredded chicken and I have a bit of time but when I need it NOW, I use the microwave.
Also, when I only need to cook up a couple of chicken breasts I almost always do it in my microwave. It is quick and easy and this method will give you a nice juicy chicken breast every time.
How to Cook Chicken in Microwave
- I like to pound my chicken breasts so they are an even thickness. This helps them to cook quicker and more evenly. Place the chicken breasts on a hard surface and cover with wax paper. Use a meat tenderizer to pound the breasts so they are more even in size.
- Use a dish that will fit the number of chicken breasts you are using. If I am doing two, they will usually fit in an 9 x 9″ pan.
- Salt and pepper the chicken breasts and add enough water so that it comes about 1/3 the way up the chicken breast.
- Cover the top of the dish with wax paper or plastic wrap. This will help create a steam bath for the chicken. Cook in the microwave on high for about about 4-5 minutes per chicken breast, it will depend on size and thickness of chicken.
- I always use my Thermoworks Thermapen to check the temperature of the chicken. You want the chicken to be 165 degrees F. I pull it out about 5 degrees before that as it will continue to cook after taking it out of the microwave. Don’t cut into the chicken to see if it is cooked through as this will release all the juices from the chicken and you will end up with dry chicken.
Easy Shredded Chicken
After you remove it from the microwave allow it to sit for a few more minutes and it will continue to cook. Word of caution: as you remove the plastic wrap from the dish be careful of the steam that will escape. You don’t want to burn yourself.
Remove chicken from dish and place on cutting board. After it cools cut into pieces or shred with a fork. Perfect chicken every time!!
How do I use shredded chicken?
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Microwave Shredded Chicken
How to Cook Chicken in the Microwave
- 2 chicken breasts skinless, boneless
- salt and pepper
- Pound chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper to make them thinner and more even in thickness.
- Place chicken in a dish and fill dish with water so the water level comes up about 1/3 of the way on the chicken.
- Cover with wax paper or plastic wrap and cook in microwave on high for 4-5 minutes per breast. Use a thermometer to check temperature. Meat should be 165 degrees F.
- Allow to cool and then shred or slice.
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.