A Cobb Salad is a classic on so many American restaurant menus and an easy salad to make at home. It is the perfect way to use up leftovers.
What is a Cobb Salad?
A Cobb Salad is a classic American salad made with chopped salad lettuce, tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, bacon and chicken. Tradition says that it originated in 1937 at The Brown Derby in Hollywood, California by it’s owner Mr. Cobb. They story goes that Mr. Cobb had not eaten until near midnight, and so he mixed together leftovers he found in the kitchen, along with some bacon cooked by the line cook, and tossed it with their French dressing. And the Cobb Salad was born!
It is the perfect salad to make to clean out the refrigerator. Although it traditionally has chicken on it, you could use whatever leftover meat you have in the fridge.
How to Make Cobb Salad
- Fill your serving dish with lettuce and other greens. I used romaine because that is what I had but you could also add in some iceberg, kale, spinach or whatever greens you have on hand.
- Bacon and hard boiled eggs are pretty required ingredient in a Cobb Salad. I like my bacon nice and crispy and I love making my hard boiled eggs in my Instant Pot.
- I had some leftover Lemon Mustard Chicken and I diced it up for the salad. You can use plain shredded chicken or any leftover meat you might have on hand.
- Add on some tomatoes and avocado and you’ve got a pretty and delicious salad. Line all the ingredients up on top of the lettuce for a pretty presentation.
It’s almost too pretty to eat but don’t let that stop you. The finally step is to add your dressing. The original Cobb Salad was made with a French dressing and I have a copycat recipe for the original dressing here. A lot of people like to put ranch dressing on it but feel free to use your favorite dressing. I have a great go to balsamic vinaigrette recipe here.
Mix up all that goodness and enjoy. It is a complete meal!
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes. Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.`
Cobb Salad Recipe
- 2 heads romaine lettuce or combination of greens chopped
- 3 hardboiled eggs
- 1 lb. cooked chicken diced, or other leftover meat
- 2 avocados diced
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
- Cobb dressing or favorite salad dressing
- 6 slices bacon fried crisp
- Place chopped lettuce into serving dish.
- Add chicken, eggs, avocado, tomatoes onto top of lettuce.
- Add dressing and toss.
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.