This small batch mac and cheese recipe uses a combination of cheese and herbs to create the best mac and cheese you will ever eat! It is the perfect amount for two people without a ton of leftovers.
Mac and Cheese for Two
I grew up eating macaroni and cheese that came out of a box. It wasn’t until I was a grown up that I started making it from scratch and it was life changing. I made today’s recipe for some neighbors a while back and they are still talking about how delicious it is! Making homemade mac and cheese doesn’t take much more time either. I love that I can make a small batch version and not worry about too many leftovers.
Baked Mac and Cheese for Two Ingredients
- Cheese. I use a combination of Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Parmesan and Mozzarella.
- Seasoning. Dry mustard, Garlic Salt, Onion Powder Paprika, Parsley, and Basil.
- Pasta. I use a small elbow macaroni but you could use any shape pasta. For small batch I prefer a smaller pasta.
- Bacon. I often use a peppered bacon for even more flavor.
- Milk. The higher fat percentage the creamier your mac and cheese will be. I prefer whole milk but often only have 2 percent on hand.
How to Make Homemade Mac and Cheese for Two
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray container with a non stick spray. I use a ramekin.
- Boil pasta to al dente. Drain.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add in flour and stir to combine. Stir for a few minutes, don’t let it burn.
- Add in milk, stir for 3-4 minutes until mixture thickens and is smooth.
- Remove from heat and add in cheese mixture. (reserve a little cheese to sprinkle on top before baking.)
- Add in herb mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour cheese mixture over cooked pasta. Stir to combine.
- Add mac and cheese to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- If preparing it ahead, cover and refrigerate at this time.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with cooked bacon and serve warm.
What to Serve with Mac and Cheese
If you make this with bacon it can stand alone as a main dish but we also serve it as a side dish with just about anything and everything. Some of our favorites include:
Can I Double This Recipe?
You sure can and you can also find a full size version of baked mac and cheese here. And I also have a version of this exact recipe in larger form and it’s made in the slow cooker here. This rice cooker mac and cheese is a fun thing for the kids to make.
Can I Make This Ahead of Time?
I recommend if you want to make it ahead of time that you mix it together and then refrigerate before baking it. You can bake it and then refrigerate but when you reheat the cheese won’t be as smooth and creamy.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Small Batch Mac and Cheese
- 1 cup macaroni for a cheesier mac and cheese only use 1/2 cup of pasta.
- 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese grated
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella Cheese grated
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices bacon cooked and diced.
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1/8 tsp basi
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray baking dishes with non stick spray
- Combine all seasonings together and mix to combine.
Mac and Cheese
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil, add macaroni and cook to al dente stage. Drain pasta.
- Melt butter in small pan and stir in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes..
- Whisk in milk and stir until it thickens, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheeses and seasonings. Reserve a little cheese to sprinkle on top before baking.
- Pour cheese mixture over cooked pasta and stir to combine well.
- Add macaroni to prepared baking dishes.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and top with cooked bacon. Serve warm.