This BLT salad is your favorite sandwich combo in salad form, but dressed up with brown sugar bacon and touch of maple in the salad dressing.
It actually hit 80 degrees here in Portland last week. Although it is back to cooler and rainier days this week it totally put me in the mood for a good salad for dinner. I love today’s salad recipe because it takes an all time favorite sandwich combo and turns it into a salad. Makes it a little more diet friendly and not so carb heavy! Since my husband is eating gluten free I can just leave the croutons out of his. I took this to our empty nester family home evening group and it was a hit. Bringing home an empty bowl is always a good sign.
The best part of this salad though is the bacon. It is not your ordinary bacon! I used some sugar and spice to make the bacon the star of the salad. I baked the bacon after coating it with a layer of brown sugar and paprika mixed together.
I baked it at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes until it was crisp and caramelized.
I pretty much had to exercise amazing self control not to eat all of the bacon before putting it in the salad. Basically candy bacon!!
I cut it up along with all the other ingredients and then made the dressing which is a combo of mayo, maple syrup, mustard and lemon juice.
All you have to do is mix together your bacon, lettuce and tomato along with some red onion and croutons and you’ve got a yummy BLT salad!
All that is left to do is drizzle it with the creamy salad dressing!
Toss and it is ready to serve. Just remember it’s no fair picking out all the yummy bacon! Save some for everyone else.
- For some other yummy salads try these:
Lemon Fruit Spinach Salad
- Chicken Napa Salad
- House Salad with Lemon Dressing
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos
- 1 head of romaine lettuce chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1/3 C red onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 C croutons
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 C mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together brown sugar, paprika and pepper in a bowl.
- Place bacon on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Coat bacon on both sides with brown sugar mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bacon is caramelized and crisp. About 20 minutes
- Allow to cool and then cut into bite size pieces.
- Combine lettuce, onions, tomatoes in a bowl.
- Add in bacon.
- Mix together mayo, maple syrup, mustard and lemon juice.
- Add desired amount of dressing to salad and toss to coat.
- Top with croutons
Leave a Review