Pesto chicken is an easy and delicious 3 ingredient low carb meal perfect for any dinner. Everyone will love the baked pesto chicken topped with melted mozzarella.
I’m always looking for a quick, easy and delicious dinner idea and when I find one that is all three and only takes three ingredients, I’m all in! Today’s Baked Chicken Pesto is all that and more!
When Jim and I cut back our carbs and starches, this is one of our go to recipes. But even family members who aren’t watching their carbs love this recipe. And not only is it delicious, it is quick and easy dish with only 3 ingredients!
Homemade pesto is a great item to keep in your freezer. I make some every summer to freeze, but you can easily use a bottled basil pesto for the recipe as well. I am a fan of Trader Joe’s Pesto if you need a good one to try or you can try your hand at my homemade pesto recipe.
The three ingredients in this pesto chicken are chicken, pesto and mozzarella cheese. You can use grated cheese, but I prefer a slice of fresh mozzarella.
How to Make 3 Ingredient Pesto Chicken
You start with a layer of pesto in the bottom of the baking dish. I used four small chicken breasts and an 8 x 8 inch pan. I used about 1/4 cup of pesto on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle your chicken with some salt and pepper.
Spread about another 1/4 cup of pesto over the top of the chicken. Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Remove it from the oven and sprinkle it with some mozzarella cheese, return it to oven and place under the broiler until cheese melts. Yum! This goes great with almost any vegetable or you can serve it with a side dish of rice or spinach pasta.
Check out more delicious pesto recipes:
For all of my favorite kitchen products and tools, visit my Amazon Store.
Pesto Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 C pesto
- 2 oz. shredded part skim mozzarella cheese 1/2 C
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- Season chicken with salt and pepper
- Spread 1/4 cup of the pesto in a 9 x 13 baking dish
- Lay chicken breasts over pesto in an even layer and spread remaining pesto on top of chicken
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake chicken until cooked through – 20-25 minutes
- Uncover and top with cheese
- Bake until cheese is melted, 5 more minutes
- Serve hot
- I spooned the pesto from the bottom of the pan over the top of the chicken before serving