Pesto Steak is one of our favorite things to throw on the grill. It’s the perfect quick and easy meal for the family or for entertaining. Only four ingredients and 15 minutes!
Dinner in 15 Minutes
This recipe for Pesto Steak is so easy, I almost feel like it shouldn’t be called a recipe. You only need four ingredients and about 15 minutes and you can have a delicious dinner that the family will love and that will impress your dinner guests.
Flank steak is one of my favorite cuts of meat to grill. It is fairly reasonably priced and so easy. It works great with a marinade or without.
What is Flank Steak?
Flank Steak is a lean cut of meat that I use for pesto steak, the cut comes from the cow’s belly muscle. It is flavorful and lean, with almost no fat and if cooked correctly, it can be very tender. It is typically about 12 inches long by 1 inch thick.
How Do You Cook Flank Steak?
My favorite way to cook flank steak is to grill it. It only takes about 5-7 minutes on each side for a perfectly cooked flank steak. Flank steak is best cooked medium (140-145 degrees F) to even medium rare (125-130 degrees F). If you prefer your meat more well done I would definitely use a marinade to help make it more tender. My favorite way to marinate flank steak is with this recipe.
What Can I Use Instead of Flank Steak?
A good substitute for flank steal is skirt steak. I always marinade skirt steak though.
Top Tips for Pesto Steak
- Let your meat sit at room temperature for 30-40 minutes before cooking. Add a generous sprinkle of coarse salt on both sides and let it sit.
- Grill the meat to the way you like it – a lot of pink or a little.
- The last few minutes before you take the pesto steak off the grill brush a coating of pesto onto the meat and grill for a few minutes, repeat for both sides. I mixed the pesto with some white wine vinegar and water.
- After you remove the meat from the grill let it sit for a few minutes more before slicing. It will continue to cook. I always remove my meat 5-10 degrees before the desired doneness.
- Always slice your pesto steak going across the grain.
- Drizzle the remaining pesto mixture over the meat after slicing and before serving.
Doesn’t get much easier than that, does it!?
Some of our favorite side dishes to serve with pesto steak are:
- Easy Garlic Bread
- Roasted Parmesan Potatoes
- Balsamic Roasted Asparagus
- Balsamic Glazed CarrotsFor all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store. Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Pesto Steak Recipe
- 1.5 lb flank steak
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp water
- Mix together the pesto, vinegar and water
- Sprinkle both sides of meat with coarse salt and allow steak to sit at room temperature for 30-40 minutes before grilling
- Grill to desired temperature. We like our meat medium which is 140-145 Degrees F. Depending on the thickness of your steak it will be about 5 minutes per side.
- A few minutes before it is done brush both sides with pesto.
- Remove from grill and allow to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes or so
- Slice steak against the grain and drizzle with remaining pesto mixture.
If you’ve tried this Pesto Steak recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!