Flank steak is one of our favorite meats to put on the grill and this rosemary and lemon version is delicious!
Be sure and check out the sweet tomato relish I served with it!
Our family has been a fan of flank steak for years. If we are grilling beef, nine times out of ten it will be flank steak. For years the only recipe I used was this Fast Fire Flank Steak but I’ve expanded my flank steak repertoire a bit over the years.
Flank steak is perfect for grilling, it’s great for stir fry and it is my favorite cut of meat for fajitas. I find that I like flank steak the best if it has been marinated or has had a rub applied to it as it helps to tenderize the meat a bit. For today’s recipe I used a combination of lemon, rosemary and garlic for a marinade. I love the combination of those three things on beef, chicken or fish. It works with everything!
Allowing the meat to marinate for 4-8 hours is best but sometimes I cheat and only give it a couple of hours and it’s also o.k. to let it go for up to 24 hours. Flank steak is flexible like that and sometimes I’m more organized than other times. In addition to the marinade, I mixed up some olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and rosemary to baste on the meat as I grill it. My son, who is quite the grillmaster, says that the only beef that should be grilled cold is hamburger, so bring your steak to room temperature before putting it on the grill.
I think flank steak is best served medium to medium rare. The meat will only need to grill for 6-8 minutes per side, use the olive oil mixture to baste each side of the steak with before and after turning it. I always use a meat thermometer to make sure I don’t overcook the steak. I like to cook it to about 125 degrees F. Allow the meat to rest for about 5 minutes before slicing it.
The trick to flank steak and keeping it tender is to always slice it across the grain! We have had an bumper crop of cherry tomatoes in our garden this year and I’ve been looking for different ways to use them. This Sweet Tomato Relish is amazing! You are going to want to serve this on everything! It is crazy good and the perfect compliment.
Other favorite beef recipes:
Rosemary and Lemon Flank Steak Recipes
Rosemary and Lemon Flank Steak
- 1 1/2 lb flank steak
- 1/4 cup rosemary chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp rosemary chopped
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Mix together 1/4 cup rosemary, 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, pepper, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes and salt in a blender an blend until smooth.
- Use a knife to score the steak 4-5 times on both sides (about 1/4 inch deep) Place steak in to a large plastic zippered bag, pour in marinade, seal and refrigerate for 4-8 hours over overnight.
- Mix together remaining ingredients, set aside for grilling.
- Remove steak from bag and grill over high heat for about 6-8 minutes a side. Baste the meat with the oil and lemon juice mixture on both sides when turning meat. Grill to about 125 degrees or desired doneness.
- Remove from heat and allow meat to sit for about 5 minutes. Slice meat about 1/4 inch thick across the grain. Drizzle with remaining dressing if desired.Top with Sweet Tomato Relish