This small batch coffee cake is just like your favorite Starbucks coffee cake and it is the perfect amount for 2-4 people. A tender yellow cake topped with a crunchy cinnamon streusel topping.
Why You’ll Love This Copycat Coffee Cake
I first posted a full size recipe for this Starbucks Copycat Coffee Cake years ago. That recipe is made with a yellow cake mix. When I decided I wanted a small batch version of my favorite coffee cake I didn’t want to use a cake mix. I would only need a portion of the cake mix and it just felt wasteful to throw the rest away.
So, I developed this recipe to taste just like the full size version without using a cake mix. The entire coffee cake is made from scratch and I think it’s better than the real thing!
Butter. I always use salted butter in my baking unless noted in the recipe. If you prefer unsalted butter just add in 1/2 tsp of salt instead of 1/4 tsp.
Sour Cream. I use full fat sour cream but you can also substitute full fat plan Greek yogurt.
What size pan do I use?
I use a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan that I line with parchment paper. You can also grease the pan. Using parchment paper makes it easier to remove and serve.
You could also use an 8 x 8 inch pan.
How to Make Small Batch Coffee Cake
- Combine butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and sour cream.
- Add in your dry ingredients including flour, salt and baking powder.
- Stir to combine and add in milk.
- Pour into lined or greased pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- While baking mix up your streusel topping.
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- Mix together flour, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla until crumbly.
- Pull the cake out after 15 minutes and gently spread the streusel topping on top.
- Bake for another 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for five minutes and then remove from pan by lifting up parchment paper.
- Place on cooling rack.
- Slice into 2-4 pieces.
More coffee cake recipes to try:
More small batch recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Small Batch Coffee Cake
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup flour plus 1bsp
- 1/4 cup butter soft
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Combine butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and sour cream. Mix to combine.
- Add in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in milk
- Pour into a parchment lined or greased 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes.
- Combine flour, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Stir until crumbly.
- Remove coffee cake from oven and gently spread topping over top of cake.
- Return to oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Leave a Review