This small batch coffee cake is just like your favorite Starbucks coffee cake and it is the perfect amount for 2-4 people. A tender yellow cake topped with a crunchy cinnamon streusel topping.
Copycat Coffee Cake
I first posted a full size recipe for this Starbucks Copycat Coffee Cake years ago. That recipe is made with a yellow cake mix. When I decided I wanted a small batch version of my favorite coffee cake I didn’t want to use a cake mix. I would only need a portion of the cake mix and it just felt wasteful to throw the rest away.
So, I developed this recipe to taste just like the full size version without using a cake mix. The entire coffee cake is made from scratch and I think it’s better than the real thing!
Butter. I always use salted butter in my baking unless noted in the recipe. If you prefer unsalted butter just add in 1/2 tsp of salt instead of 1/4 tsp.
Sour Cream. I use full fat sour cream but you can also substitute full fat plan Greek yogurt.
What size pan do I use?
I use a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan that I line with parchment paper. You can also grease the pan. Using parchment paper makes it easier to remove and serve.
You could also use an 8 x 8 inch pan.
How to Make Small Batch Coffee Cake
- Combine butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and sour cream.
- Add in your dry ingredients including flour, salt and baking powder.
- Stir to combine and add in milk.
- Pour into lined or greased pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- While baking mix up your streusel topping.
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- Mix together flour, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla until crumbly.
- Pull the cake out after 15 minutes and gently spread the streusel topping on top.
- Bake for another 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for five minutes and then remove from pan by lifting up parchment paper.
- Place on cooling rack.
- Slice into 2-4 pieces.
More small batch recipes:
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes. Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Small Batch Coffee Cake
Small Batch Coffee Cake
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup flour plus 1bsp
- 1/4 cup butter soft
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Combine butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and sour cream. Mix to combine.
- Add in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in milk
- Pour into a parchment lined or greased 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes.
- Combine flour, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Stir until crumbly.
- Remove coffee cake from oven and gently spread topping over top of cake.
- Return to oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.