This Spinach Salad is the one dish that is requested at more of our family dinners than any other salad. The secret is in the dressing!
Today’s salad recipe is my niece Emily’s signature dish. At Thanksgiving when Emily asked me what I wanted her to make for dinner my reply, without hesitation, was – your spinach salad. It wouldn’t be a Wilkes family gathering without Emily’s salad.
- Romaine lettuce
- Swiss cheese
Best Dressing for Spinach Salad
The secret to this recipe and any spinach salad is in the sauce or rather the dressing! This dressing has amazing flavor thanks to the addition of red onion.
Spinach Salad Dressing Ingredients
- Canola or Olive Oil
- White Vinegar
- Red Onion
- Yellow Wet Mustard
- Poppy Seeds
Place all the ingredients in a jar and shake it all up.
Refrigerate for several hours to let the flavors combine and meld together. The flavor of the red onion just infuses throughout, it is so good!
How to Make a Spinach Salad
- Combine spinach, lettuce, mushrooms cooked bacon and strawberries in a bowl.
- Toss with salad dressing.
- Add grated Swiss cheese on top.
How Long Will Salad Dressing Keep?
This dressing will keep for up to two weeks in the refrigerator. I store mine in a mason jar with a lid.
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Spinach Salad Recipe
- 20 ounces Spinach
- 1-2 heads Romaine Lettuce
- 3/4 cup Mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 pound Bacon pieces
- 3/4 pound Swiss Cheese grated
- 2 cups Strawberries sliced
- 1/3 cup White Vinegar
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1-2 tsp yellow wet mustard
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake or mix well.
- Refrigerate for two hours or longer.
- Mix all salad ingredients together and top with dressing.
Originally shared January 19, 2012