Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket is so delicious, easy and melt in your mouth good. You get all of the delicious flavor of your favorite smoked beef brisket but it’s made in your slow cooker!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
Using the slow cooker is the perfect way to cook a brisket. Brisket likes to be cooked low and slow and that is exactly what a crock pot does! Using the slow cooker also makes dinner prep so easy. Put it in that morning and dinner is ready that evening when you are.
The meat comes out fall apart tender and full of amazing flavor thanks to the nice slow cook it does in the slow cooker.
- Beef Brisket
- Onion. Use a yellow or white onion.
- Garlic. Fresh, chopped garlic. If don’t have fresh you can use half the amount of garlic powder.
- Chili Powder
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Hickory Liquid Smoke. This is found near the BBQ sauces in the grocery store. You only use a little but it gives it amazing flavor.
- Beef Broth. Can also use water if you don’t have.
- Chili Sauce. Bottled and found near the BBQ sauces in the grocery store.
What is Brisket?
Brisket is a tough cut of meat that comes from the breast or chest section of the cow. The best way to cook a brisket is low and slow which helps the fibers and tissues break down.
If brisket is unavailable and you need to use another cut of meat, you can use a tri-tip roast or even a chuck roast for this recipe.
How to Make Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket
- In a small bowl, combine onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin and Worcestershire sauce for a spice rub. Stir to combine.
- Cover brisket brisket with the rub.
- Place brisket in crock pot.
- Cover brisket with a mixture of beef broth, chili sauce, and liquid smoke. I love the flavor that liquid smoke gives the meat. It tastes just like you smoked your brisket, but instead of the hassle of a smoker, you did it in the crockpot!
- Cook the brisket on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. You will know when the slow cooker brisket is done because the meat will be fork tender. No knife needed!
Tips and Tricks
- Always cook your brisket on low if at all possible. The meat will be more tender when cooked on low.
- If your brisket doesn’t fit in your slow cooker, slice it in half and place the pieces into the slow cooker.
- If your brisket isn’t tender, it just needs more time – so cook, even 30 minutes can make a difference.
Serve the beef brisket recipe as is and just spoon some of the pan juices over the top. Or you can serve it Texas style with your favorite BBQ sauce over the top. My favorite BBQ sauce is Sweet Baby Rays Original. You can always make a homemade bbq sauce too. Just spoon on as much of that barbecue sauce as you want! The more the better as far as I’m concerned.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this in the Instant Pot?
It works beautifully in the Instant Pot, you will just need to add in more liquid. Use 1 cup of beef broth instead of 1/4 cup. Directions are below in the recipe card or you can find directions for cooking in the Instant Pot in this post.
What is the best way to slice brisket?
You can slice or shred brisket. If you are slicing it, always slice it going against the grain.
Can I make slow cooker bbq beef brisket ahead of time?
You can make it the day ahead and then refrigerate right in the ceramic insert, covered overnight. The next day return the insert to the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 1-2 hours until the meat is warmed through. (Skim off any hardened fat)
How long will leftover brisket last?
Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator it will lasat for 3-4 days.
Can I freeze leftover slow cooker BBQ Beef Brisket?
It freezes really well.
Cool it to room temperature first
Put into a large freezer bag.
Remove a much air as possible
Freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Other favorite brisket recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Slow Cooker BBQ Brisket
- 3 lb. beef brisket
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp hickory liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 3 Tbsp chili sauce bottled
- Mix together chili powder, brown sugar, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, and pepper. Make a paste and rub over brisket.
- Place brisket into slow cooker.
- Mix together beef broth, liquid smoke, onions and chili sauce.
- Pour over brisket.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high 4-5 hours or until fork tender and meat easily pulls apart. I highly recommend cooking it on low if at all possible for the best, most tender results.
- Remove brisket from cooker and slice across the grain into thin slices.
- Top with favorite BBQ sauce if desired or spoon some of the leftover pan juices over meat.
Tips & Notes:
- Cover meat with rub and place in the Instant Pot.
- Add in liquid.(using 1 cup of beef broth)
- Put on the lid and cook on meat/stew setting for 90 minutes.
- Do a 10 minute natural release and then a quick release.