These truly are the best baked beans. They are one of my most requested recipes at our neighborhood potlucks!
This baked beans recipe came from my husband’s Aunt Dawn and has been a family favorite for decades! If you have a BBQ potluck planned for the holiday weekend this is the perfect thing to make!
What makes these baked beans so special? A lot of things like brown sugar, bacon, onion, and ketchup.
One of the tricks of wonderful baked beans is baking them for a long time. These beans bake for 3 hours so be sure and plan ahead. I use my nice heavy Le Creuset pan
This is what it looks like before it goes into the oven. The green pepper on top gives even more great flavor.
And here it is when it comes out – 3 hours later. Bake them slow!
The recipe calls for baking it with the lid off . I like to bake it with the lid on. The beans don’t get quite as thick with the lid on and I prefer them a little runnier.
Baked beans are a frequent menu item at our house during the summer – a great side dish for all those fun barbecues you have during the summer.
Baked Beans Recipe
- 2 large can pork and beans/baked beans 28 oz. cans
- 1/2 lb. chopped bacon uncooked
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 bottle ketchup 24 oz.
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1 green pepper cut into rings
- Stir and combine first six ingredients
- Then place green pepper rings on top
- Bake 350 degrees for 3 hours uncovered (I cover)