Making tender, delicious, fall off the bone ribs was never easier. Instant Pot BBQ Ribs are some of the best ribs you will ever have!
Some of my other favorite Instant Pot Recipes Instant Pot Pulled Pork . Quick Instant Pot Brown Riceand Perfect Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
I’ve always heard that good ribs need to be cooked low and slow and I agree that is a great way to cook ribs, but sometimes, you just don’t have that kind of time and that is where the Instant Pot comes in. You need high and fast! I have a few other ways to cook delicious ribs too, try slow cooker ribs or this easy version on the grill.
What Kind of Ribs to Use for Instant Pot BBQ Ribs?
I like to use baby back ribs in the Instant Pot because they are more tender. You can also use spare ribs, which are meatier and tougher. You will need to add 10 minutes onto your cooking time if you use spareribs.
How to Remove the Membrane from the Ribs
Depending on where you purchase your ribs, they may have a white membrane or skin on the back of the ribs (the bony side). Mine came with the membrane removed. If it hasn’t been removed follow these steps to remove it:
- Place the meaty side facing down, membrane side up.
- Slide a knife under the membrane to loosen it.
- Using a paper towel, grab the membrane and pull it off. The paper towel gives you some traction.
How to Make Instant Pot Ribs
Spice Rub Ingredients
I think a good rub is a combination of sweet and heat.
- Garlic Powder
- Smoky Paprika
- Chili Powder
- Onion Powder
- Brown Sugar
Mix the ingredients together.
- Pat Dry. With a paper towel, pat the ribs dry on both sides and then rub spice mixture over the entire rack of ribs, front and back.
- Place the ribs into the Instant Pot using the metal trivet that comes with it. It is easier to remove the ribs this way. Place the meaty side of the ribs facing out.
- Pour in apple juice and water. Be sure to pour into the middle of the pot so you don’t rinse off the rub.
- Add Liquid Smoke I also love to use some liquid smoky to give the ribs a subtle smoky flavor. You will find Instant Smoke near the BBQ sauces in the grocery store.
- Set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 25 minutes. Be sure valve is set to sealing. Do a ten minute natural release and then a quick release. Carefully lift the ribs out of the pot. They are so tender they will easily fall apart. Place on a baking sheet.
- Slather the ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce, the more the better!
- Place the ribs under the broiler for a few minutes until the sauce binds to the ribs, bubbles and gets nice and gooey.
- Slice the ribs apart and enjoy!
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs Recipe
Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
- 1 rack baby back ribs
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1-2 cups favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- Remove membrane from ribs if needed.
- Mix together rub mixture.
- Pat ribs dry with a paper towel and rub both sides of rib rack with rub mixture.
- Place ribs around the side of the Instant Pot, with the meaty side out. Place them on top of the metal trivet that comes with the pot.
- Pour apple juice, water and liquid smoke into the center of the pot so you don't wash off the rub.
- Put on lid, turn valve to sealing and set to high pressure for 25 minutes. Do a ten minute natural release and then a quick release.
- Carefully remove ribs from pot and place on a baking sheet. Generously brush both sides of ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Place under broiler and allow sauce to seize up, bubble and begin to caramelize.
- Cut ribs apart before serving. Serving with additional sauce for dipping if desired.
Leave a Review