Instant Pot Brown Rice is the easiest way to get perfect, fluffy brown rice every time and in less time too!
I have learned to love my Instant Pot the more I use it. Initially, it sat in it’s box for six months before I got up the courage to give it a try. Despite my long standing love affair with my slow cooker I have learned to love and embrace my Instant Pot too. Both are great tools for helping you get dinner on the table. When people ask me which one is my favorite I always say that it depends, it depends on you lifestyle and how you like to cook. Are you more of a planner? Go with your slow cooker. Are you a spur of the moment, last minute person? Then the Instant Pot is for you.
Easiest Brown Rice
I think there are things the slow cooker does better and things the Instant Pot does better and one of those things that the Instant Pot does better is brown rice! Instant Pot brown rice is the best and fastest way to make perfect brown rice every time.
What is the difference between white rice and brown rice?
Brown rice is unpolished rice with only the husk of the grain removed. It is a whole grain, making it more nutritious. White rice has had the bran and germ removed, which are the most nutritious parts of the grain. Brown rice has more fiber, antioxidants, important vitamins and minerals.
Because brown rice has only had the husk removed, it does take longer to cook than white rice and that is where the Instant Pot comes in handy.
Stove Top Brown Rice
On the stove top, brown rice takes about 45 minutes to cook, Instant Pot brown rice is done in about 30 minutes. I have also found that the Instant Pot produces perfect, fluffy rice every time! It has never failed me yet.
How to Make Instant Pot Brown Rice
I use a ratio of 1 cup brown rice to 1 1/4 cup water. As a rule of thumb, one cup of raw rice will yield 3 cups of cooked rice. I usually always do 2 cups of brown rice.
- Saute the rice in a little olive oil before cooking to give it a little nuttier flavor. You can do this in the Instant Pot on the saute feature. This is optional though.
- Add in the water or chicken broth and salt after the rice is lightly browned.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and turn valve to sealing.
- Cook on manual, high pressure for 15 minutes with a 10 minute natural release. After unsealing, fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
Can I Freeze Brown Rice?
I like to make a big batch and freeze what we don’t need. Instant Pot brown rice freezes really well. I freeze it in an airtight container or freezer bag. Reheat it in the microwave.
Check out more of my Instant Pot Recpies
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Instant Pot Brown Rice
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- Turn Instant Pot onto saute. Add oil and rice and stir to lightly brown rice.
- Add in liquid and salt.
- Seal Instant Pot and set to manual, high pressure for 15 minutes. Do a 10 minute natural release. Fluff rice with fork