Lasagna for Two is a classic lasagna with just the right amount for two people. The perfect solution to too many leftovers.
One of my least favorite parts of being an empty nester is leftovers. I am not and have never been a fan of leftovers and when you are only cooking for two, leftovers can be a serious problem.
Fortunately for me, I am married to a leftover eater. One of my least favorite leftovers is anything made with pasta. The texture of the pasta changes and it never tastes as good reheated.
That is where Lasagna for Two comes in!
Why You Will Love Lasagna for Two
- This recipe is the perfect amount for two people with just enough leftover for for the leftover eater! No leftovers for days!!
- You can use a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan for this recipe. No special pan required.
- This recipe uses oven ready noodles so there is no boiling or precooking required. If you can ‘t find the oven ready noodles you can use regular lasagna noodles, you will just have to boil them. Be sure to cook them al dente so they don’t get too soft.
- Meat. I used ground beef but you could also use ground turkey, ground chicken or Italian sausage.
- Onion. white or yellow onion
- Garlic. Fresh, minced
- Tomatoes. We use petite diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Seasoning. Salt, pepper, oregano, basil
- Sugar. You could also use a bit of honey to sweetened the sauce.
- Noodles. I love using the no boil lasagna noodles if you can find them!
- Cheese. Mozzarella, Ricotta and Parmesan. You need to grate the Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Egg. This acts as a binder for your cheese mixture.
How to Make Lasagna for Two
- Make your meat sauce by adding hamburger, onion and garlic in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until meat is cooked through.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasoning and sugar and simmer until slightly thickened, it will still be a little soupy. Don’t let all the liquid cook down. You should have approximately 3- 4 cups of meat sauce. I like it a little soupy.
- In a small bowl, mix together cheese mixture of ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, basil, salt and pepper.
- Spray 9 x 5″ loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place a layer of meat sauce (about 1/2 inch) on the bottom of the pan.
- Top with a noodle and 1/3 of the ricotta mixture.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 cup of Mozzarella cheese.
- Add about 1/2 cup of sauce on top.
- Repeat process with remaining ingredients. Noodle – cheese – sauce. End with sauce on top and 1/3 cup of Mozzarella cheese
- Top with 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook for another 10 minutes or until cheese melts and is lightly browned.
- Allow lasagna to sit for about 10-15 minutes to allow it to set up a bit. You can eat it right away but it will be a bit soupy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Lasagna for two freezes really well. You can freeze it right in the pan, wrapping it in plastic wrap and foil or line your pan with parchment paper, assemble lasagna, flash freeze and then once it is frozen use the parchment paper to remove the lasagna from the pan and then wrap up airtight with plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for 2-3 months.
Absolutely. Instead of using oregano and basil just add in 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
I use a 9 x 5 inch loaf or bread pan. It’s the perfect size for 4 servings of lasagna.
With the no boil noodles you can add them directly into the lasagna without boiling them first. It makes the process os much easier. If you can’t find them, use regular lasagna noodles but you need to boil them first until they are al dente, still a little firm.
You can but it really helps your cheese bind together and prevents it from oozing out all over when you cut into the lasagna. It also makes the cheese mixture creamier. It can be left out but I prefer using it.
For other delicious recipes for try these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Lasagna for Two
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 15 oz. petite diced tomatoes not drained
- 1 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese grated, for top
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 1/3 cups Mozzarella Cheese grated
- 4 sheets NO BOIL Lasagna noodles
- In a frying pan, add hamburger, onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until meat is cooked through.
- Add in tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasoning and sugar and cook until slightly thickened, it will still be a little soupy. Don't let all the liquid cook down. You should have approximately 3- 4 cups of meat sauce.
- Mix together ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan, egg, basil, salt and pepper.
- Place a layer of meat sauce in bottom of 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Add 1 noodle, 1/3 of ricotta mixture and sprinkle with 1/3 cup of grated Mozzarella and top with about 1/2 cup sauce.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with a layer of sauce and remaining 1/3 cup of Mozzarella and 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 400 degrees F oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Let lasagna sit for 10-15 minutes to let it set up.