This chili for two is thick, delicious and the perfect amount for two people.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
When we became empty nesters I discovered there were certain recipes I just stopped making. Not because we didn’t like them but because they just made too much and I got tired of eating it night after night and one of these recipes was chili.
So I took my favorite recipe and I reduced it down to a small batch chili recipe and now, it’s the perfect amount for two. Just enough to satisfy any chili craving without a lot of leftovers! And it goes perfectly with my small batch cornbread recipe.
- Meat. I used ground beef but you could also use ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Onion. Use white or yellow onion.
- Oil. I use olive oil but vegetable or canola will work too.
- Garlic. Fresh minced garlic is best.
- Chili Seasoning. Make your own with a combination of chili powder, ground cumin, salt, pepper and sugar. For more spice, add in more chili powder or cayenne pepper.
- Tomato Paste
- Beef Broth. Chicken broth will work too.
- Diced tomatoes with juice
- Red Kidney Beans. You can switch it up and use red beans, pinto beans or black beans. Be sure to drain and rinse.
- Balsamic Vinegar. This is the recipe’s secret ingredient and gives the chili a nice depth of flavor.
How to Make Chili for Two
- Heat oil over medium heat and add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is soft.
- Add in hamburger and cook until meat is cooked through.
- Add in seasoning – chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, sugar.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Pour in beef broth, diced tomatoes and drained beans.
- Add in balsamic vinegar and bring to a low boil and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Garnish with shredded cheese or whatever you like!
What to put on top of Beef chili
- Shredded cheese
- Diced onion. Green or white onion.
- Jalapeno peppers or green chiles
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Tortilla Chips
- Sour Cream
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use ground chicken or ground turkey instead. They both have less fat which gives them less flavor so you may need to add it a bit more seasoning.
You can substitute in black beans, white beans, pinto beans, red beans, or anasazi beans.,
Absolutely, it doubles and triples really well to feed more people.
If you’d like to add some veggies, dice up some green peppers, red bell pepper, carrots or corn and add in with the onion and garlic. Saute veggies until fork tender.
Pair This With:
For more delicious full batch chili recipes try these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Chili for Two
- 1/2 lb. ground beef or ground turkey or chicken
- 1/3 cup onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp chili powder mild
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp balsamic
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 15 oz. petit cut diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup kidney beans drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat and add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is soft.
- Add in seasoning – chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add tomato paste, beef broth, diced tomatoes with juice and drained and rinsed beans.
- Pour in balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to a low boil and reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.