Slow Cooker Chili Lime Chicken is the perfect summer weeknight meal. Make up a batch and enjoy it all week!
I’ve mentioned before how much I love using my slow cooker in the summer. It was a big help in prepping for our annual week at the beach with our kids when I try to prep as many meals as I can ahead of time. I don’t want to be spending all my time in the kitchen when my kids are around so to get ready for this year’s #Wilkesanita2017 I made up a batch of this Slow Cooker Chili Lime Chicken.
I popped it in the freezer and it was ready to head down to the beach with us. The frozen meat also helped keep everything else cold in the cooler. Chili Lime Chicken was the perfect thing to add to a big sheet of nachos the kids made one day for lunch and we also popped it into some corn tortillas for a quick street taco.
All I had to do was thaw it and then heat it up in a big frying pan and let the liquid cook off and the edges of the chicken get a little crispy.
Besides nachos and tacos, it is great in quesadillas and burritos and I even like to serve it over a bed of rice.
There is lots of flavor in the meat thanks to chipotle chili pepper, smoked paprika, cumin and Mexican oregano. The addition of lime juice, honey and lime zest adds even more flavor.
Some of my other favorite slow cooker recipes:
Slow Cooker Chili Lime Chicken
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs or breast I used thighs
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp chipotle chili pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Mexican Oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt more to taste
- 1/2 cup medium chunky salsa
- 1 4 oz. can green chilies diced
- 1/2 cup water
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- lime zest for garnish
- Place chicken into slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic and onions.
- Mix together all the honey, seasonings, salsa, green chilies and water.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Shred chicken and then add in lime juice, lime zest and fresh cilantro.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.