This Sweet and Sour Brisket is easy thanks to the slow cooker and delicious thanks to the sauce!
The sauce for this sweet and sour brisket has vinegar and chili that give you a bit of tang and brown sugar and ketchup for a little sweet. Sweet and Sour is a perfect flavor combination in my book. also called Jewish Style Sweet and Sour Brisket, it is traditionally served for Rosh Hashanah and Passover. But I hope it will become a year round favorite at your home like it has in ours.
I’ve made this beef brisket twice in a week before. That is how good it is.
Beef brisket is one of my favorite cuts of meat to use in the slow cooker. It turns out so tender and flavorful. You don’t have to brown the meat before hand either. Just pop it in the slow cooker, cover it with the sauce and let it cook for about 9 hours on low. Or, you can turn it up to high for 5 to 6 hours. Because of its longer cooking time it makes the perfect thing to put in the slow cooker in the morning before a long, busy day.
After the sweet and sour brisket is done cooking, you can remove the meat from the sauce and slice it. Then strain the juices into a saucepan, add a little cornstarch, and stir over medium heat to let the sauce thicken up. Spread the sauce over the meat and serve. And if I have a little extra time, place the sliced meat in a 9 x 13 pan, pour the sauce over it, cover with foil and put it in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. This will let the meat absorb even more of the sauce.
Either way, you will have a delicious sweet and sour brisket that you will love!
Check out some of my best brisket recipes:
Sweet & Sour Brisket Recipe
Sweet and Sour Brisket
- 4 lb beef brisket
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup onions diced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Place the brisket in a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Mix together all the remaining ingredients and pour over the brisket.
- Cover with the lid and cook on low for 9 hours or high for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove the brisket from juices and slice or shred meat going across the grain.
- Strain the juices and add 2 Tbsp cornstarch into 1/2 cup of juices. Add the cornstarch mixture and remaining juices into a sauce pan and stir over medium heat until the sauce begins to boil and thicken.
- Serve the thickened sauce over sliced meat.
- For even more flavor, place sliced meat into a baking pan and pour some of the sauce over the top, making sure to get the sauce down in between the slices. Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20-30 minutes to allow sauce to set up. Serve remaining sauce on the side.