Over the holiday weekend, we did a lot of eating. Not all of it was “clean” eating and after a weekend like that I find myself craving a nice, light, delicious salad. One of our all time favorite salads is Celestial Salad. We have made it for years and it is always on our Easter menu as well as making frequent appearances on our dinner table on other nights of the year. As far as I’m concerned it is pretty heavenly. I originally shared this back in 2011 but since it is a favorite it needed a little recipe redo. It needed better pictures to show how pretty it is.
I especially enjoy this salad in the spring and summer months. There is just something about a salad with oranges in it that says “Spring” to me!
The dressing is very light and the salad is full of yummy things like cucumbers, green onions, celery, and oranges. I always add sugared almonds too, lots of them! I love crunch in my salad and the nuts, celery and cucumber give it plenty of crunch.
The original recipe came from The Portland Palate, one of my favorite cookbooks.
- 1/2 C slivered almonds
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 C celery chopped
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 can mandarin oranges drained
- 1 cucumber peeled and diced
- Romaine lettuce torn into pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- a sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- Sugar the almonds.
- In a large bowl combine lettuce, celery, green onions, cucumber, oranges and nuts
- Whisk together salt, pepper, oil, sugar, vinegar and red pepper flakes
- To sugar almonds place the sugar and almonds in a small frying pan and stir until the sugar melts and coats the nuts and they turn golden brown.
- Pour over salad and toss well
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!