This classic broccoli salad recipe is the perfect side dish for just about anything and a favorite potluck pick.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
I’ve been making this broccoli salad for years and my mother made it before I did. With just a little chopping this salad can be ready in under 20 minutes.
The salad is full of treat texture from the broccoli, onion and bacon. There is sweetness from the sugar and dried currents and a bit of vinegar in the dressing gives it a subtle bite.
It is one of my favorite summer salads and one I make over and over again, year after year.
Broccoli Salad Ingredients
- Broccoli. I like it chopped small. I use the flower part and the stock but I do peel the stock.
- Red Onion
- Bacon. Fried crisp
- Sunflower Seeds. I prefer salted sunflower seeds.
- Currants. You can also used dried cherries or dried cranberries.
Broccoli Salad Dressing
- Apple Cider Vinegar
How to Make Broccoli Salad
- Chop broccoli The trick to this salad for me is to cut the broccoli nice and small. Lucky for me, my husband is an expert broccoli cutter and he knows just the way I like it.
- Combine all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together dressing in a small bowl combining dressing ingredients
- Chill dressing until ready to serve.
- Toss salad with dressing.
- Tip #2
- If you prefer a lighter salad dressing you can use a combination of canola oil, rice vinegar and sugar. (recipe below)
Other Add Ins
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated or cubed
- Roasted red peppers
- Sun Dried Tomatoes
Frequently Asked Questions
There are recipes that call for blanching, but I never do. If you chop the raw broccoli up small enough and peel the stem there is no need to blanch and it saves you time not to.
This salad is the perfect make ahead salad and I think it tastes better if it is allowed to chill in the fridge before serving. Keep stored in an airtight container and it will last for 3-4 days.
Try these other delicious broccoli recipes:
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup dried currants or craisinets
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 lb. bacon cooked and crumbled
Broccoli Salad Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar available in the Asian aisle
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Mix together the dressing ingredients and pour over salad ingredients
- Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- If it is going to be in the refrigerator for a while wait to add the sunflower seeds and bacon so they don’t get soft. You want them crisp.