This broccoli salad recipe is a classic. It is the perfect side dish for just about anything and a favorite potluck pick.
I’ve been making this broccoli salad for years and my mother made it before I did. With just a little chopping this salad can be ready in under 20 minutes.
The salad is full of treat texture from the broccoli, onion and bacon. There is sweetness from the sugar and dried currents and a bit of vinegar in the dressing gives it a subtle bite.
It is one of my favorite summer salads and one I make over and over again, year after year.
Should I Blanch the Broccoli?
There are broccoli salad recipes that call for blanching the broccoli but I never do. If you cut the broccoli up small enough and peel the stem there is no need to blanch and it saves you time not to.
Can I Make Broccoli Salad Ahead?
This salad is the perfect make ahead salad and I think it tastes better if it is allowed to chill in the refrigerator before serving. Keep stored in an airtight container and it will last for 3-4 days.
Broccoli Salad Ingredients
- Broccoli. I like it chopped small. I use the flower part and the stock but I do peel the stock.
- Red Onion
- Bacon. Fried crisp
- Sunflower Seeds
- Currants. You can also used dried cherries or cranberries.
How to Make Broccoli Salad
As I mentioned above, the trick to this salad for me is to cut the broccoli nice and small. Lucky for me, my husband is an expert broccoli cutter and he knows just the way I like it.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl and then add the dressing.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Broccoli Salad Dressing
This salad uses a 3 ingredient mayo based dressing. It is flavored with sugar and vinegar for the perfect flavor.
If you prefer a lighter salad dressing I use a combination of canola oil, rice vinegar and sugar. (recipe below)
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Broccoli Salad Recipe
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup dried currants or craisinets
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 lb. bacon cooked and crumbled
Broccoli Salad Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar available in the Asian aisle
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Mix together the dressing ingredients and pour over salad ingredients
- Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- If it is going to be in the refrigerator for a while wait to add the sunflower seeds and bacon so they don’t get soft. You want them crisp.
Originally shared June 27, 2011