This Broccoli Cheddar Soup is taken up a few notches with the addition of sun dried tomatoes and bacon. Full of flavor and texture!
Some of our other favorite creamy soups include Clam Chowder,
A few weeks ago I hosted a luncheon at my home with some of the ladies from church. There was one qualification for attending my lunch and that was you had to be over 70. Of course, that qualification didn’t apply to me.
I prepared two different soups for our luncheon. I served Thai Coconut Chicken Soup, which was a big hit.
And I also served Broccoli Cheddar Soup. I am sharing that recipe with you today.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Ingredients
- Cheddar Cheese
- Chicken Broth
- Sundried Tomatoes
- Half and Half
How to Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Broccoli. I used fresh broccoli but you could also use frozen broccoli. You won’t have to cook it as long if using frozen broccoli.
Immersion Blender. I used my immersion blender but you could also use a high speed blender. I like my soup smooth so I blended mine quite a bit but if you like chunks, don’t blend as long.
Thick or Thin. I prefer my soup on the thinner side. So, if the soup thickens up too much as it cools, add in some additional chicken broth.
Soup Add Ins. Adding sun dried tomatoes and bacon takes this soup to the next level!
What to Serve with Broccoli Cheddar Soup
How to Store and Freeze Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Keep soup stored in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Or store the soup in the freezer for up to three months. Allow the soup to cool completely before freezing in an air tight container. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or put frozen soup into a sauce pan on the stove top and warm over low heat, stirring often.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 4 oz. butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes chopped
- 4 slices of bacon fried crisp, for garnish
- In a pan combine stock and broccoli and bring to a boil. Cook until the broccoli is tender.
- In another pot melt butter.
- Add celery, onion and garlic to melted butter and cook for about 5 minutes or until onions soften.
- Add in flour, stir well. This will form a roux. Reduce heat and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth and broccoli to roux and use an immersion blender to get desired consistency.
- Add in 1/2 and 1/2 and cheese. Mix until cheese is melted.
- Add in sundried tomatoes
- If soup is too thick, thin with additional chicken broth.
- Serve hot and garnish top with crisp bacon.