A few weeks ago I hosted a luncheon at my home with some of the ladies from church. There was one qualification for attending my lunch. You had to be over 70. Of course that qualification didn’t apply to me.
We have a wonderful group of “older” ladies at church that I just adore. Ten ladies attended my “Ladies Who Lunch” holiday luncheon. They are such a delight and I love hearing them visit with each other and sharing their stories and life experiences with me and each other.
I like to ask them questions about their life and then sit back and listen to the stories. One of the questions I asked this time was how many of them weren’t born in a hospital. The stories led to other stories and it was a delightful way to spend part of my day.
The other soup I fixed was a new one. I love to experiment on company. Today’s recipe for broccoli cheddar soup with sundried tomatotes and bacon was my experiment and a huge hit too. One of the ladies said it was like no other broccoli soup she had ever had and I think she meant it in a good way.
In addition to the traditional broccoli and cheddar cheese I added in some sundried tomatoes and crisp bacon which gave it lots of great flavor and some fun texture too.
I used fresh broccoli to make the soup but you could also use frozen broccoli, you just won’t have to cook it as long. I used an immersion blender to blend the soup. I like my soup fairly smooth and not too thick. If the soup thickens up too much as it cools or after it is refrigerated just thin it out to your desired consistency with more chicken broth.
This soup would also be delicious with the 60 Minute Focaccia Skillet Bread I shared a few days ago.
TTBroccoli Cheddar Soup with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Bacon
- 4 oz. butter
- 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 C celery diced
- 1/2 C onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 C broccoli florets chopped
- 1 C cheddar cheese grated
- 5 C chicken broth
- 1 C 1/2 and 1/2
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 1/3 C sundried tomatoes chopped
- 4 slices of bacon fried crisp, for garnish
- In a pan combine stock and broccoli and bring to a boil. Cook until the broccoli is tender.
- In another pot melt butter.
- Add celery, onion and garlic to melted butter and cook for about 5 minutes or until onions soften.
- Add in flour, stir well. This will form a roux. Reduce heat and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth and broccoli to roux and use an immersion blender to get desired consistency.
- Add in 1/2 and 1/2 and cheese. Mix until cheese is melted.
- Add in sundried tomatoes
- If soup is too thick, thin with additional chicken broth.
- Serve hot and garnish top with crisp bacon.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.