Focaccia bread comes together quickly and easily and is the perfect addition to any meal. Lightly flavored with Italian seasoning and olive oil, the bread has amazing flavor.
Homemade bread can’t be beat! Some of our other favorite bread recipes include this Instant Pot Bread. Yes, you can make bread using your Instant Pot! English Muffin Bread is delicious toasted or not and the perfect addition to breakfast. These Easy Breadsticks are always a hit.
I love this basic recipe for focaccia bread. It is the perfect canvas for all kinds of amazing flavor combinations. But sometimes you just want a basic and delicious bread that will let whatever you serve with it or on it shine. Such is the case with this focaccia bread. Sometimes I just add it as a side dish to a meal. It’s perfect with pasta with meat sauce. It works great for mopping up extra sauce or I love to use it for dipping into hummus or balsamic vinegar.
What is Focaccia Bread?
Focaccia is a flat oven-baked Italian bread and is similar in style and texture to pizza dough. It is a perfect side dish for many meals and also makes a wonderful sandwich bread.
How To Make Focaccia Bread?
- Mix together dough and allow to rise until double in size. Focaccia bread is a yeast dough and if you have any questions about working with yeast check out this post.
- Allow the dough to rise until double in size.
- Generously oil the bottom of a baking sheet with olive oil. The olive oil will give the bread good flavor so don’t be stingy. I use a quarter sheet baking sheet that measures 9 x 13″. You can also use a glass 9 x 13 baking dish as well. I often divide the recipe in half and use a 9 inch cake pan to make the bread (as pictured in the post). The round loaf of focaccia bread is perfect for making this focaccia sandwich.
- Fill your oiled baking sheet or pan with dough.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap and allow it to rise again for about 30 minutes.
- Press your fingertip into the dough, creating an indentation.
- Brush with remaining olive oil. Allow the olive oil to fill into those indentations in the dough.
- It is a beautiful blank canvas! I like to keep it pretty simple a lot of the time and brush it with olive oil and a sprinkle of my favorite French salt. I also love to sprinkle it with fresh or dried herbs.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool and remove from the pan.
What to Put on Focaccia Bread?
The possibilities are endless:
- favorite herbs or seasoning (basil, oregano, thyme) I add the dried or fresh herbs on top of the dough with the olive oil before baking.
- roasted garlic, add in with the dough
- cheese (parmesan, mozzarella, provolone etc.), a
- veggies ( onion, chopped or sliced tomato, roasted red pepper slices, chopped mushrooms, sliced shallots, thin-sliced zucchini or yellow squash, spinach)
Add your toppings after you have brushed the bread with olive oil and before baking. One of my favorite combos is cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
To serve the focaccia bread you can cut it into squares, if baking in a sheet pan or pie shape if baking in a round pan or you can just tear a piece off! The bread will be thinner if baked in a large jelly roll pan.
Check out my favorite pasta dishes to serve with focaccia bread:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Easy Focaccia Bread Recipe
As written, the recipe makes 2 9″ round loaves or one large, 9 x 15″ inch loaf. Recipe can be halved for one 9″ loaf.
Easy Focaccia Bread
- 1 cup warm water
- 4 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp sugar or honey
- 5 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning or combination of rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil etc.
- Coarse Salt sprinkling on top
- Use 2 9" round pans or one 9 x 15" sheet pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add yeast and sugar to warm water. Stir to combine and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until bubbly.
- Add yeast mixture to flour, salt and 2 Tbsp olive oil in mixer bowl. Mix with dough hook. Add additional flour if needed to get a soft dough that is not too sticky to handle.
- Coat a bowl with oil and place dough in bowl. Cover with a towel and allow to rise for an hour in a warm place or until doubled in size
- Brush baking sheet with 1 Tbsp oil. Punch down dough and remove from bowl. Knead on a floured surface for a minute.
- Place dough onto oiled baking sheet and press to fill sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Press fingertips into dough, creating indentations. Brush top with remaining oil.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and any other desired topping such as dried rosemary, thyme, oregano.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool bread on a rack for 10 minutes and remove from pan. Cool completely and enjoy!
Tips & Notes:
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!