I have been making Penne Rustica for over a decade. Creamy and comforting, this is a great family meal to share.
I make Penne Rustica often because this recipe makes a lot of food. It is the perfect thing to make when you want to share and take dinner to someone who just had a baby or is sick. It is also great for feeding a large family too. I recently took a 9 x 13 of it to a family whose father had surgery and there was enough to make an 8 x 8 for us too. Penne Rustica recipe is also a great recipe to double if you need to feed a crowd.
How to Make Penne Rustica
This is a copycat recipe from Macaroni Grill, so be sure and pass this recipe on to all your friends who are fans of Macaroni Grill’s Penne Rustica. I love the light cream sauce and the combination of chicken, bacon and red pepper. The addition of rosemary gives it some great flavor. I use real whip cream too. I suppose you could cheat and use half and half but I wouldn’t use anything less than that.
Just fill your pans with the yummy pasta and then top it with some mozzarella cheese before baking.
When cooking your pasta be sure and only cook it until it is “al dente.”
Everytime I take this to a family it gets rave reviews. Kids and adults love it! Just serve it with a green salad and a little crusty french bread and you are good to go.
For some other yummy pasta dishes, check out:
Penne Rustica Recipe
- 2. grilled chicken breasts marinade in olive oil and garlic salt overnight, then grill on barbecue for best flavor
- 5-6 strips of thick bacon
- 1 lb. penne pasta 1 box
- 1 large red bell peppers- diced
- 1 /3 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 C mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp dijon or dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chopped rosemary
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Sauté garlic in butter in large pan
- Measure apple juice in a measuring cup. Add the red wine vinegar and enough chicken broth to equal 1/3 cup.
- Add apple juice mixture, mustard, salt, rosemary, cayenne pepper, and heavy cream. Allow it to warm but not boil.
- Cook pasta according to directions
- Cook bacon
- Slice chicken into medium-bite size pieces
- Combine sauce, cooked pasta, diced chicken, cooked bacon, bell peppers, parmesan cheese, and paprika and mix thoroughly
- Spread in pans
- Top with some additional chopped rosemary and mozzarella cheese
- Bake @ 475 for 10 minutes
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.