This lemon bread is amazing, not too sweet, and just the right amount of amazing of lemon goodness.
I am definitely a lemon lover and don’t think you can ever have enough lemon recipes. Here are a few more of my favorites, including Lemon Pound Cake, Lemon Curd Cupcakes, and Lemon Cream Cake. If you are looking for a lemon poppyseed bread try this recipe.
Best Lemon Bread Recipe Ever!
When it comes to sweet breads I usually make banana bread. It may be because I have the BEST banana bread recipe ever but now I have another great option, Lemon Bread.
This lemon bread is not too sweet, tart or heavy. The glaze you pour over the warm baked bread is the best part. After sharing it with a friend recently she called to let me know that she comes from a family of amazing bakers and that this was the BEST lemon bread she had ever had.
If you were one of those kids who never ate the crust of their bread you will change your mind when you taste this one! I ate both of the end pieces of the bread just so I could have more crust!
So grab a few lemons and enjoy some lemon bread!
How to Make Lemon Bread
- Start with the right size pan. I used a 9.5 x 5 inch pan. You can use two smaller bread pans if you like, just adjust your baking time to 45 minutes
- Line your pan with parchment paper to easily remove your bread from the pan, you don’t want any of the goodness to stick to the pan. If you don’t have parchment paper use my favorite baking spray.
- Don’t over mix your batter. Mix just until the ingredients are all incorporated. Over mixing can cause the bread to become tough.
- To make sure your bread is cooked all the way through poke a bamboo skewer in the middle of the bread. If it is still gooey, bake for a few more minutes. If the top and edges of your bread are starting to get too brown before the middle is done, cover the top of the bread with foil and bake a few more minutes or until the bread is done in the center.
How to Make a Lemon Glaze
Combine 2/3 cup of powdered sugar with enough fresh squeezed lemon juice to get a nice runny consistency as pictured below. This is not a frosting but a glaze that will absorb into the bread.
- Pour lemon glaze over the bread when it is hot and just out of the oven. Be sure to cover the whole surface of the bread. The glaze is the best part!!
- Cool completely in the pan and then remove. Slice and enjoy.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
For some savory lemon recipes check out these:
Lemon Bread Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp. soft butter
- ½ cup milk 2% or whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. Baking powder
- Grated rind of one lemon
- 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add in milk, eggs and lemon zest.
- Mix together dry ingredients and add into wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Pour into a greased or parchment lined 9.5 x 5 inch loaf pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour
- Mix together sugar and lemon juice and then pour on top of bread while warm and still in the pan
- Let cool in the pan and then remove
Originally posted April 10, 2009
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!