This delicious winter spinach salad is full of flavor. Packed with fruit, cheese, and nuts, it is the perfect side to all of your favorite dishes.
This Winter Spinach Salad is the perfect way to add some color and vitamins to your Thanksgiving dinner plate or any plate. That plate can often be little lacking in color with turkey, gravy, potatoes, dressing, and rolls. It’s all delicious but a little monochromatic. At our house there is a rule that you must have something green on your plate! Salad is the perfect way to do that. Because the salad is competing with so many other delicious options, it has to be full of flavor! This winter spinach salad is the perfect choice.
What to Put in a Spinach Salad
This delicious spinach salad uses sugared pecans, crispy green apples, red grapes, Gorgonzola cheese and some dried cherries and you have a pretty and yummy combination. Not only does this salad provide some pretty color for the dinner plate but it adds some wonderful texture and flavor!
How to Make Winter Spinach Salad
Start by preparing all your ingredients:
- Wash and prepare spinach by removing stems. I like using baby spinach.
- Cut grapes in half. You can use green or red grapes but the red grapes look prettier.
- Chop green onion using both the green and white part.
- Slice apples, leaving the skin on. Follow directions below for keeping apples from turning brown.
- Sugar the pecans using these directions.
- Mix together dressing and refrigerate until ready to use.
- You can used any kind of dried fruit such as dried cherries, dried cranberries or dried blueberries.
- Crumble the cheese. I prefer Gorgonzola but you can also use Feta.
How to Keep Apples from Turning Brown
Fill a bowl with enough water to cover the amount of apples you have. Add in 1/2 tsp of salt and stir to dissolve. Let apples sit for a minute or two. Drain and pat dry. It works great! No more brown apples.
So if you need a last minute salad addition to your Thanksgiving menu give this one a try and if you don’t, this salad is perfect anytime even if it’s not winter! Enjoy!
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Other favorite salads include these:
Winter Spinach Salad Recipe
Winter Spinach Salad
- 10 oz. bunch baby spinach
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or craisins
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 green apple cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes cut in half
- 1/4 cup sugared pecans
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried onion
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Combine spinach, cherries, green onions, apple slices, grapes and pecans
- Add dressing and toss
- Garnish with Gorgonzola cheese
- Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake until evenly combined
Originally posted Nov. 25, 2009