A focaccia sandwich is made the day before and then enjoyed at your picnic, tailgate party or for lunch at home. It is the perfect make ahead sandwich. Just slice your focaccia bread and layer it with your favorite meats, cheeses and vegetables.
Looking for other great sandwich or picnic ideas? How about a Mason Jar Picnic – all your food is packed in cute little glass jars! Asian Chicken Wraps are picnic worthy and this Chicken Caprese Sandwich is a favorite too.
Picnic season is upon us and since we won’t be traveling much this summer a picnic in the backyard or a park is the perfect outing. I’m always looking for delicious recipes that are easy to make and easy to transport. This make ahead sandwich is also perfect for a summer evening, after you’ve been playing all day and want to come home to something ready and waiting for dinner.
A focaccia sandwich layered with all your favorite meats, cheeses and veggies is the perfect solution. It can be personalized to your family’s tastes and the possibilities are pretty limitless. For our family, we usually go with turkey and ham for the meat and a layer of provolone cheese. Red onions, tomatoes and spinach are added on top!
Focaccia Sandwich Ingredients
For my sandwich, I headed to my local Albertsons/Safeway store to their deli section. I often use their Primo Taglio® brand of meats and cheeses. For this sandwich I went with their Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, Black Forest Ham and Provolone Cheese. The meats and cheeses come presliced and ready to use. They are the perfect thing to use on your picnic sandwiches but also make great addition to your Charcuterie board boards.
I love using the Primo Taglio products because the quality is also great and consistent. There also use no artificial flavors or colors in their products.
- Bread. To make this delicious sandwich start with some good bread. I like to make my own focaccia bread using this recipe but you can purchase in the bakery section of your local grocery store.
- Meats. We like to use a combination of Primo Taglio Black Forest Ham and Oven Roasted Turkey. We have also used roast beef and salami too.
- Cheese. My favorite is Provolone Cheese but Swiss, Cheddar or Pepper Jack would be delicious too.
- Vegetables. Red onion, tomatoes and fresh spinach work well but you could also add some sliced peppers, cucumber or whatever your favorites are.
- Condiments. A light layer of butter, mayo and mustard add for some great flavor. A layer of pesto is also delicious!
How to Make a Focaccia Sandwich
Besides being delicious, one of the best things about this sandwich is it can be made the day before. It’s actually better if you make it the day before or at least the morning before. It let’s the flavors all come together.
There is a process and order for layering all the ingredients on the bread. The correct order helps prevent the bread from getting soggy. I always start with a light layer of butter, mayonnaise and mustard. If you don’t like mayo or mustard, leave them off but at least put the layer of the butter on to help prevent the bread from getting too soggy. A layer of pesto can also be used.
Add a layer of each of your meats and cheese. Use 2-3 different meats and 1-2 different cheeses. Next you will add the vegetables, the onions, tomatoes and then top it with the spinach.
Next, add the top of the focaccia bread. The sandwich can actually be eaten at this point if you want but if you are looking for a make ahead sandwich wrap the sandwich in plastic wrap and then a layer of foil and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Make Ahead Sandwich
Trust me, nothing gets soggy. There is nothing worse than a soggy sandwich! The time in the fridge enhances all of the flavors. When we are ready to head out for our picnic I just pop the sandwich in the picnic basket. Don’t forget a knife to cut your sandwich!
Before you head out on your summer adventures be sure and make a visit to the deli department of your local Albertsons store and stock up on all their great Primo Taglio products so you’ll have everything you need to put together the perfect Focaccia Sandwich!
For more delicious recipes to use your Primo Taglio products with check out these:
I shopped at Safeway in my local area, but you can also find Primo Taglio® the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb and Vons.
Focaccia Sandwich Recipe
- 1 loaf focaccia bread
- 4 Tbsp butter room temperature
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 lb. Primo Taglio® Oven Roasted Turkey sliced
- 1/4 lb. Primo Taglio® Black Forest Ham sliced
- 1/4 lb. Primo Taglio® Provolone Cheese sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- Slice bread in half and spread with butter, mayo and mustard
- Layer ingredients in the following order: meat, red onion, cheese, tomato, spinach.
- Put second half of bread on and wrap entire loaf in plastic wrap, then wrap in foil
- Refrigerate at least 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!