A focaccia sandwich is made the day before and then enjoyed at your picnic, tailgate party or for lunch at home. It is the perfect make ahead sandwich. Just slice your focaccia bread and layer it with your favorite meats, cheeses and vegetables.
Picnic season is upon us and since we won’t be traveling much this summer a picnic in the backyard or a park is the perfect outing. I’m always looking for delicious recipes that are easy to make and easy to transport. This make ahead sandwich is also perfect for a summer evening, after you’ve been playing all day and want to come home to something ready and waiting for dinner.
A focaccia sandwich layered with all your favorite meats, cheeses and veggies is the perfect solution. It can be personalized to your family’s tastes and the possibilities are pretty limitless. For our family, we usually go with turkey and ham for the meat and a layer of provolone cheese. red onions, tomatoes and spinach are added on top!
- Bread. To make this delicious focaccia sandwich start with some good bread. I like to make my own focaccia bread using this recipe but you can purchase in the bakery section of your local grocery store.
- Meats. We like to use a combination of Black Forest Ham and Oven Roasted Turkey. We have also used roast beef and salami too.
- Cheese. My favorite is Provolone Cheese but Swiss, Cheddar or Pepper Jack would be delicious too.
- Vegetables. Red onion, tomatoes and fresh spinach work well but you could also add some sliced peppers, cucumber or whatever your favorites are.
- Condiments. A light layer of butter, mayo and mustard add for some great flavor. A layer of pesto is also delicious!
How to Make a Focaccia Sandwich
There is a process and order for layering all the ingredients on the bread. The correct order helps prevent the bread from getting soggy.
- Start with a light layer of butter, mayonnaise and mustard. If you don’t like mayo or mustard, leave them off but at least put the layer of the butter on to help prevent the bread from getting too soggy. A layer of pesto can also be used.
- Add a layer of each of your meats and cheese. Use 2-3 different meats and 1-2 different cheeses.
- Next, you will add the vegetables, the onions, tomatoes and then top it with the spinach.
- Finally, add the top of the focaccia bread.
- Wrap sandwich in plastic wrap and then a layer of foil and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
The sandwich can actually be eaten at this point if you want but I think it is better after it has refrigerated for several hours or overnight.
Frequently Asked Questions
I use a serrated knife, like a bread knife for the cleanest, easiest cut.
You can make it 2 days before but I usually make it the day before or even the morning of.
For more delicious recipes try these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
- 1 loaf focaccia bread
- 4 Tbsp butter room temperature
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 lb. Primo Taglio® Oven Roasted Turkey sliced
- 1/4 lb. Primo Taglio® Black Forest Ham sliced
- 1/4 lb. Primo Taglio® Provolone Cheese sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- Slice bread in half and spread with butter, mayo and mustard
- Layer ingredients in the following order: meat, red onion, cheese, tomato, spinach.
- Put second half of bread on and wrap entire loaf in plastic wrap, then wrap in foil
- Refrigerate at least 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
Tips & Notes:
- Besides being delicious, one of the best things about this sandwich is it can be made the day before. This sandwich is actually better if it is made the day before you plan to serve it. It allows all the flavors to come together.
- You might think this sandwich would get soggy making it ahead of time, but trust me it doesn’t. Just be sure you assemble the sandwich in the order described below. It makes a difference!