Grilled Asparagus is a simple side dish that tastes delicious. Grilling asparagus gives it amazing flavor and it couldn’t be easier.
We keep our grill going pretty much non stop all summer. Between our BBQ grill and our Traeger we can do most of our cooking outside. Not only do we grill our meat but I love to do my side dishes on the grill too. Veggies and potatoes are so easy on the grill and on a hot summer evening, it keeps the heat outside. Another favorite thing to cook on our grill is a take and bake pizza from the store! So good!!
Grilling your veggies is so easy and I think they taste better when grilled on the BBQ grill or the Traeger. My favorite summer vegetable is asparagus. I’ve got several other delicious asparagus recipes here on the blog but this simple grilled asparagus is one of my favorites.
How to Grill Asparagus
I like to use a thicker asparagus for grilling, it holds up better on the grill and if you don’t want to put the asparagus in a metal pan you can lay it right on the grill and it won’t fall through.
I put the olive oil and seasoning into a plastic zippered bag and then add the asparagus and toss it to coat. You want a nice light coating over all the asparagus.
Can I Place Asparagus Directly on the Grill?
Yes, you can. As I mentioned above, just make sure your asparagus doesn’t fall between the grate! I like to put my asparagus into a disposable foil pan for a little less mess. You don’t get the char marks on the asparagus but it still tastes wonderful. Close the cover to the grill and cook on high heat.
How Long Does It Take to Cook Asparagus on the Grill?
- Your cook time will vary depending on the size of your asparagus but it usually takes about 10 minutes. I like to shake the pan a few times during the cooking process. If you are placing them directly on the grate, turn once during the cooking process.
- Use a fork to test the asparagus for tenderness. I like mine fork tender!
- Remove the asparagus from the pan onto a serving dish and sprinkle with some grated Parmesan cheese.
Grilled asparagus is pretty much the perfect veggie to serve with any meal. If I’m feeling extra crazy I will drizzle some balsamic vinegar over the top of it before serving. I love the slightly smoky flavor cooking asparagus on the grill gets and if you put it directly on the grill it will get nice char marks too. So easy and simple, all you need is asparagus, olive oil and some garlic salt. Parmesan cheese is optional!
What do you serve with asparagus? Here are some of my favorites:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Grilled Asparagus Recipe
- 1 lb. asparagus medium thickness
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese grated for garnish
- Place the olive oil and seasoning into a plastic zippered bag and then add the asparagus and toss it to coat.
- Place asparagus in a disposable pan or directly on the grill. Shake the pan or turn once during cooking.
- Grill for about 10 minutes, until desired doneness. Use a fork to test the asparagus for tenderness.
- Remove the asparagus from the pan or grill and place on a serving dish. sprinkle with some grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.