Huli Huli chicken is the Hawaiian version of BBQ’d chicken.
In Hawaiian, huli huli means turn turn. The chicken is aptly named because you turn it on the grill! This recipe is done on the grill but can definitely be done in the oven if you don’t have a grill available or it’s just too cold or rainy outside to stand over a grill!
Huli huli chicken is marinaded in what is a Hawaiian BBQ sauce – a combination of pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and a few other lovely flavors! I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs but you can use your favorite cut of chicken. Reserve a cup of the marinade and then pour the rest over the chicken and marinate the meat for at least 3 hours or overnight.
The chicken goes on the grill and then you just turn, turn. Add a tablespoon of cornstarch to the reserved marinade and heat it up and stir until thickened. Discard the marinade that the chicken was marinating in. Use the thickened marinade to baste the chicken with after each turn. Turn, turn…
After the chicken is cooked through and a nice glaze has formed on the chicken it is ready to serve. I garnished it with some sliced green onion which looks pretty and adds some nice color.
We had neighbors over for dinner who have four small children so I was hoping this huli huli chicken was a good choice. I served it with some white sticky rice and they loved it.
- 4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- 12 oz. pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- green onion chopped for garnish
- Mix together all ingredients but chicken, cornstarch and green onion.
- Set aside 1 cup of marinade.
- Pour remaining marinade over chicken in a bowl or zippered plastic bag and refrigerate for 3 hours to overnight.
- In a sauce pan combine 1 cup of reserved marinade and cornstarch, stir and heat until thickened.
- Discard marinade from chicken.
- Place chicken on grill over medium heat. Cook on each side, turning several times and brushing chicken with thickened marinade after each turn. Grill until cooked through and glaze has thickened.
- Garnish with green onions
- If doing in the oven bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Baste and turn as youl would on the grill.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!