These easy Hawaiian Chicken Sliders are perfect for game day or any day. Thanks to rotisserie chicken or leftover shredded chicken they come together quickly!
I’ve been sharing lots of delicious game day recipes this week because someone told me there is a big game coming up! Today’s recipe is perfect for game day but is a crowd pleaser no matter when you serve it. It is the perfect meal to make anytime you have extra chicken leftover. It also makes for yummy party food. Because of it’s size, it works as an appetizer or as the main meal if you eat more than one.
What is a slider?
- Basically, it is a small hamburger or sandwich, usually about 2 inch across, made with a bun.
How to make Hawaiian Chicken Sliders
For these Hawaiian Chicken Sliders, I use the King’s Hawaiian sweet rolls that you can find in most grocery stores. They are a sweet, soft roll and it works perfect. You can use any kind of slider roll though, you just want it to be a nice soft roll.
After slicing them in half, lay the bottoms in a 9 x 13 pan. Combine your shredded with chicken with the BBQ sauce and layer the chicken mixture, red onions, pineapple and cheese on top.
Spread the bottom of the top part of the roll with the yummy lime cilantro mayo mixture. This adds lots of extra yummy flavor.
Add the top of the roll and then drizzle with melted butter. Sprinkle with minced onion, poppy seeds and Parmesan cheese.
Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 30 minutes. You want the cheese nice and melted. These are soft and gooey and a little messy to eat but so worth it, just have some extra napkins on hand!
Best Way to Make Shredded Chicken
There are three different ways you can easily make a batch of shredded chicken.
- For 2-3 chicken breasts I prefer to do it in the microwave.
- For a larger batch, 4 or more chicken breasts I use my Instant Pot or my Slow Cooker.
I love to make up a big batch of shredded chicken and then freeze it so I can pull it out whenever a craving for these Hawaiian Chicken Sliders hit. You will need about 3-4 cups of chicken to make 12 sliders.
You can make your BBQ sauce from scratch using the recipe below or use your favorite bottled BBQ sauce too.
Check out more delicious game day food ideas:
Hawaiian Chicken Sliders Recipe
Hawaiian Chicken Sliders
- 12 slider buns
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits drained and juice reserved
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 12 slices Monterey Jack or Mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Lime Cilantro Mayo
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Lime Cilantro Mayo
- Combine all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a pan over medium heat, combine oil and garlic and cook garlic for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add in BBQ sauce, pineapple juice and chili powder.
- Stir and cook over heat until it begins to bubble and thicken slightly, 5-7 minutes.
- Add in shredded or diced chicken and stir to coat.
- Place bottom of rolls in a greased 9 x 13 pan. Layer with chicken, red onion, pineapple and slice of cheese.
- Spread mayo mixture on bottom of top of bun and place in pan.
- Pour melted butter over the tops of the buns. Sprinkle with minced onion, poppy seeds and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes of until warmed through and cheese is melted.
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.