This slow cooker cashew chicken is better than any take out! And the best part is it is easy to make with the help of your crockpot.
Cashew Chicken is a favorite Chinese take out item, but now you can enjoy all the delicious flavors of this dish made at home in your slow cooker! This recipe is perfect for a busy day. Put everything in the crock pot and dinner is ready when you walk in the door.
How To Make Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
It’s so easy to do and it really is delicious! Cashew Nut Chicken is my favorite dish to order when we go out for Chinese and I get it every time. But now, I don’t have to wait to go out to enjoy this yummy dish.
After cutting the chicken up into chunks, just put it in a bag with some cornstarch and pepper and shake so that all the pieces get coated. Then just brown it in some oil and put it into the slow cooker with the yummy sauce you have mixed up and stir it so that the chicken gets covered in the sauce.
About three hours later you have dinner ready. Chicken doesn’t need to cook as long as beef or pork. Stir it a couple of times if you can during the cooking process to get the sauce evenly distributed. You can put the cashews in at the beginning but I prefer to put mine in half way through so they still have a bit of crunch but either way works. You can also wait and just sprinkle them on top when are ready to serve.
We love it served over white rice and then sprinkled with green onions and a few more cashews for good measure.
Check out more easy crockpot dinners:
My favorite kitchen tools for Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken:
SLOW COOKER – My favorite one is the classic, the Rival CrockPot. In fact, I love it so much I own three of them. Two 6 qt and one 4 qt.
CROCK POT LINER BAGS – These liner bags are a life saver and make clean up so much easier and faster! Stock up on them!
HOLIDAY SLOW COOKER COOKBOOK – For more delicious slow cooker recipes check out my new cookbook – 100 recipes!
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken Recipe
Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts (I used 4 pieces)
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 C soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 C cashews
- green onions for garnish
- Combine cornstarch and pepper together in a plastic storage bag. Add chicken and shake to coat.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chicken in single layer and cook on each side until brown, about 2 minutes each side.
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sweet chili sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes in a bowl. Pour over chicken.
- I add my cashews half way through the baking timeso they don’t get as soft but you can add them at the beginning if your prefer.
- Cook on low for 3 – 4 hours (I did it for 3)
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onion
Leave a Review