Covered with a sweat creamy dressing this chicken salad with pasta has amazing flavor and texture thanks to the crunch of apples and cashews.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
This recipe is from friend at church. It is the recipe that everyone asks for after trying it. It has been a favorite at our church parties and gatherings for years and now that the friend has moved away I have to make it myself!
This salad has so much flavor and texture thanks to the addition of pineapple, grapes, apple and cashews! The pasta is a nice complement to the crunch of the other ingredients.
- Chicken. Shredded or diced. See below for ways to prepare chicken.
- Pasta. I used a medium shell pasta but you could also use a macaroni pasta.
- Red Grapes. Green will work too but I like the color of the red.
- Green Onions.
- Apple. I used a red delicious apple but. you could also use a Honey Crisp or your favorite red apple.
- Pineapple. Use a can of crushed, drained pineapple.
- Coleslaw Dressing. I used the Litehouse brand which is found in the refrigerated produce section of the grocery store.
How to Make Chicken Salad with Pasta
- Cook pasta until al dente. Drain.
- Cut grapes in half.
- Dice up apple. This can be done ahead by using the tip below for keeping apples from turning brown.
- Combine pasta, chicken grapes, green onion, celery and apple in a large bowl.
- Drain crushed pineapple and into bowl.
- Mix together mayonnaise and coleslaw dressing and pour over salad.
- Toss to coat and add in cashews.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
How To Make Shredded Chicken
You can also make your own shredded chicken instead of using a rotisserie chicken.
- Microwave. This method is quick and easy and takes about 10 minutes depending on the size of your chicken breasts. Depending on the size of your microwave you can do 2-3 chicken breasts at a time. Find all the details here.
- Slow Cooker. If you have time, the slow cooker makes a moist and tender shredded chicken. It takes about four hours on low. If I have to make a large batch of shredded chicken this is the perfect way. Find all the details here.
- Instant Pot. This is another great method and I usually do about 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts at a time. It will take about a total of 45 minutes. Find all the details here.
How to Prevent Apples from Turning Brown
- Fill a bowl with cool water.
- Add in 1/2 tsp per cup of water.
- Dice apples and add into water.
- Soak for 10 minutes and then drain and rinse apples.
Tips from Leigh Anne
I think this salad tastes better when served at room temperature. Let it sit out for 30 minutes prior to serving.
This salad can sit out unrefrigerated for up to 2 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Kept in an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator, this salad will last for 3-4 days.
Cold pasta will not absorb the dressing. So chill in the refrigerator before adding it to the salad. If you don’t have time to chill the pasta, run cold over it for a few minutes and then drain.
Try these other delicious salad recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Chicken Salad with Pasta
- 3-4 cups chicken cooked, shredded or diced
- 2 1/2 cups medium shell pasta uncooked
- 2 cups red grapes cut in half
- 1/4 cup green onions diced
- 2 cups celery diced
- 2 cups red delicious apple diced
- 1 cup crushed pineapple drained
- 1 1/2 cups cashews salted
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup coleslaw dressing
- Boil a large pan of water and cook pasta until tender. Drain and chill.
- Cut apple into cubes and put into 2 cups water with 1/2 tsp salt. Let soak for 10 minute and rinse.
- In large bowl combine chicken, pasta, apple, grapes, celery, green onion.
- In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise and coleslaw dressing.
- Pour dressing over chicken salad and toss to coat.
- Add cashews